Restore turning symlinks into files

I’ve done this plenty of times and am not sure why I’m having an issue now

I’m moving a site from one server to another. Both servers are running centos 6.5. The 'old" server is running virtualmin 4.07, the new server 4.08.

I use the old server and create the backup file.

On the new server I use the restore to create the site there.

For some reason the symlinks in the backup are being turned into files during the restore, causing the restore to fail with :

Extracting TAR file of home directory …
… TAR failed!

/bin/tar: ./public_html/Web: Cannot create symlink to `my-src-folder-here’: File exists
/bin/tar: Exiting with failure status due to previous errors

The backup file correctly has the symlink. I’ve verified by manually extracting it.

I can manually complete this transfer, but ideally would like to get to the bottom of it in case we run into it again. Any ideas?

Thank you

Simon

Howdy,

Hmm, I don’t believe anyone has reported such an issue before.

Would it be possible to get a copy of your backup in order for us to reproduce that problem?

If so, could you email a URL that we could use to download your backup to eric@virtualmin.com?

Thanks!

-Eric

done, thanks!

Simon

I am also experiencing this issue. In my case, the versions are far apart. The backup was made with Virtualmin 4.06.gpl and I am restoring with 4.17.gpl.

All symbolic links are extracted as files, but I do not get any visible error messages - provisioned with Puppet while checking with --debug.

Would be grateful if you could post the resolution to this problem publicly.

-Miguel Angelo

I’m experiencing this problem trying a virtual server restore from a v4.02gpl backup to a v5.01gpl. The source virtual server contains a symbolic link which cause the error… The same issue is reported here https://www.virtualmin.com/node/25184 and here https://www.virtualmin.com/node/15229.

I’m experiencing the same with rails apps but sometimes with others too. Is there any known workaround to import the backup with a smile?