Restore timeout?

Hi,

I’m migrating to a new server. I’ve backed up virtualmin which creates about 15GB of files (99% mail).

On the new server, I go to ‘restore backup’, point it at the backup files directory and press the button at the bottom of the page ‘show what will be restored’.

At this point, top shows CPU activity, mainly gzip for a few minutes but once that stops, the web interface doesn’t refresh - I suspect perhaps a timeout.

By the way I’m backing up from virtualmin 3.87 and restoring to 3.92, is this likely to be an issue? Upgrading the old server is sometimes an issue as the operating system is too old to support modern versions of dependencies like python due to libc version differences.

Any ideas?

Regards
Oliver

Howdy,

In some cases, if the task being performed is long enough, the web browser can timeout, and cause problems.

For a 15GB backup file, my recommendation would be to perform the restore using the command line.

You can see all the restore options by running this command as root:

virtualmin restore-domain

Thanks, trying the command

virtualmin restore-domain --source mydomain.co.uk.tar.gz --all-domains --all-features --reuid

I get the error

Missing or invalid restore file

As an alternative, I could manually create the accounts, then transfer the mailbox contents over manually. We’d need to get or reset some passwords. Any other ideas though?

Howdy,

Make sure you pass in the full path to the backup file. If you use the full path, that should work for you!

-Eric

That seems to be working, thanks.