[RESOLVED] Virtualmin Installation Error - Configuring Dovecot... (FAILS)

Hi @Matheus,

Thanks for your feedback.
The distro where I get the same error as yourself :

# lsb_release -id Distributor ID: Debian Description: Debian GNU/Linux 9.1 (stretch)

Seems to be a standard install, not a Minimal. Of course, I’d prefer Minimal, but that’s not being offered by this server’s provider.

Hi Joe,

Apologies for the delayed reply (busy with other servers yesterday).

To answer your latest question, yes :-

/etc/apt/apt.conf.d# cat * | grep Install-Recommends
APT::Install-Recommends “false”;

Do you really want that to be set to “true”?

I believe that the provide I am using for this server, is not using a Minimal install of Debian 9.1 as the disk space used after Reinstall (clean install) is 813MB.

This could help identify this issue with the remaining MySQL/MariabDB installation blockage.

# df -h / Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on /dev/sda1 40G 813M 37G 3% /

Hi Joe,

Well, I ran the test anyway (got the server, got the time)… and it worked, it seems… with this set to true:

cat /etc/apt/apt.conf.d/00InstallRecommends

APT::Install-Recommends “true”;

Final install was 2.3GB disk used.

I will mark this thread as resolved now, as you provided 2 fixes to bypass the problems described in this post.
Thank you for your efforts.

Matheus,

I just closed this post as RESOLVED with a reference to the following that will help with the MySQL issue (which will help you too).
Set the following (it worked for me).

nano /etc/apt/apt.conf.d/00InstallRecommends

APT::Install-Recommends “true”;

Post-installation of Virtualmin, you need to decide for yourself if that setting stays in place or not.
Regards.

just to cap off this thread, in case anyone stumbles on it later, I’ve forced Install-Recommend to true for Virtualmin installs…so, it’ll do the right thing, while also allowing people to choose to remove some components after installation without dependency problems.

For a bit of historical context: When I used metapackages in the past, we had problems where users wanted to be able to remove some packages, like postgresql or the mail stack, but that would cause removal of the metapackage itself…and then the next auto-remove would destroy their system, because the package that had depended on everything was now gone. Obviously, that was sub-optimal (uncommon, since it required the user to ignore a couple of instances where they should have looked at the package list being removed and thought, “Hmmm…I might need Apache and PHP and Postfix all all these Virtualmin packages for my Virtualmin hosting system.”, but even having it happen a couple of times was too much). So, I stopped using metapackages for dependencies on Debian/Ubuntu, but now we’re using them again. So, now I try to push most of the packages off into Recommends and Suggests (and on yum systems, “default” and "optional serve the same role and mostly match up against the Debian/Ubuntu package lists).

So, no need to set that option for the system; we set it on the command line during installation.