Required to clean up code?

I run an ordering platform. A few years back I purchased this standard script. Through the years it has been heavily modified to my likings by multiple independent developers. So I assume, this could have had an impact on the ‘cleanliness’ of the code and it’s standards. Which ultimately also could impact the stability, speed and security of the website in terms of user experience.

Also, some functions in the backend in the original script I don’t use for my platform, so it’s related code is kind of obsolete.

Are my assumptions correct? If so, does is make sense to perform an ‘audit’ on the entire code of my website? Which role in IT could perform such audit? Another developer?

This has been on my mind for some time so I decided to drop this here. Looking forward input of the pro’s (or anyone actually hehe;)).

Thanks and best regards,
adrian

@Adrian70

Well, does your code scripts or whatever you want to call it came with any versions controlled system? You know like svn or git so new developer could read the source code and pin points to changes by who at any times… Svn is very old git is younger brother to svn but its like dna… With that said any sort of documentations to your scripts provided by each coders? You know some sort of wiki or how to help content… If non of those, well you would pay premium or just require code for those scripts at highest level of quality from scratch, as no developer could continue without this info’s provided by svn or git. It’s not possible.