rendundancy, clustering and failovers

any CentOS equivalent?

@jessec:

I’m using glusterfs myself for various aspects. I use it on two NAS servers to basically provide my redundant SAN, both using Raid 5 arrays for the physical storage, and Raid1 over GlusterFS.

My next feat is actually to attempt to setup pacemaker to provide failover NFS access to the glusterfs mounts on the two NAS servers, because glusterfs itself doesn’t support quotas.

Has anyone done something similar in production for deploying an HA website?

In the LAB, I setup two kvm web server’s using proxmox ve 1.9. The kvm images for both web server are stored using a DRBD storage type, done using the proxmox DRBD wiki.

On each kvm guest, I added a second hard drive same size for both. I then used the extra hard drive to create a DRBD block to hold web content served by both web servers. To allow concurrent access to the web content coming from either web server’s I added a distributed file system called ocfs2 on the drbd resource.

In front of the web servers I have another KVM vm running zenloadbalancer to divert web traffic in case one of the web servers die.

All seems to work but I still have to load test both web servers to simulate real traffic. The other thing I still need to do is have pacemaker handle the auto mount of the drbd resource drive. When I reboot the web servers there is an issue where apache2 fails to start during boot up because the drbd resource mounted on /home is not available yet. To get around this I currently use the webmin module “system and server status” to monitor apache then have it start apache2.