Reduce or limit scheduled backup process memory useage?

Hi,

I’ve been using Virtualmin GPL on an Virtuozzo (VZ) VPS for a couple years now. Lately*, I’ve run into a problem with the scheduled backup feature. That process can take a lot of memory. Unfortunately, the way VZ works, the VPS sees a lot more memory than it should use, so, during the backup, my VPS goes beyond my guaranteed memory limit and well into the “burst” zone.

Is there a place in the configuration of Virtualmin to set an upper limit on the backup process? I see that bzip2 has a memory switch "-s" that might be useful.

• one of the virtual servers is a lot larger than previous ones, I suspect that’s related somehow.

Thanks,

Leonard

I would like some kind of limit option too. Although I am running virtualmin pro 3.26 on my own server, I have one virtual server that is 3.5 gigs right now and after O load the rest of their files, they will be about 10 gigs. I am concerned that a nightly backup would make the system unresponsive.

I am also concerned about the file size. Im not sure if I can have a tar file of ten gigs or not, maybe a file split option would be nice, but thats just total wish list.

you can set the backup process to either gzip or bzip the files. Secondly it will split them up…just go into the main virtualmin config area…:slight_smile:

I cant find an option to select bzip, I tried just making the name .bzip, but that didnt work. Where is the bzip option and what file size will it break the backups into?