Rebooting after security updates

Operating system: Ubuntu
OS version: 20.04.2

It seems when I do security updates (mostly kernels) and I do a reboot, I can’t go to my sites. I then have to login to my host (KVM) and it says server is running but I don’t think it is as I usually do a VNC from within the admin panel and it boots up then I can view my websites. Not a VM issue but I was wondering the best way to do upgrades. I usually ssh in and do apt-get updates then upgrades and then sudo reboot. Should I do this from the VM instead of ssh or should I just login to my host admin panel and reboot?

With Virtualmin we use the gui for upgrades - not the CLI like you do, though that should work just as well too… We also reboot via the Virtualmin GUI.

One possible reason you are having to start the virtual machine via VNC is because you are somehow shutting down after the update instead of rebooting…

Updating in Virtualmin is the same as updating from the command line. You should run updates however you prefer. Virtualmin is just using your OS package manager to perform updates. You have more control on the command line, but the GUI is fine for many people and circumstances.

I have no idea why you’re having the problem you’re having, but I’m certain it’s not related to running updates from ssh vs the GUI.

I’m not sure if this could be my issue.

update-initramfs: Generating /boot/initrd.img-5.4.0-74-generic
I: The initramfs will attempt to resume from /dev/vda3
I: (UUID=74de00b1-xxxxxx-439b-ae8b-xxxxxxxxx)

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.