Read User Mail Module is not setup to use Postfix mail server

I know this has been posted many times before, however, clearly there isnt a well documented solution because im also stuck without a means of fixing the problem. see the error below…this is incredibly frustrating!

The status of your system is being checked to ensure that all enabled features are available, that the mail server is properly configured, and that quotas are active …
Your system has 1.65 GB of memory, which is at or above the Virtualmin recommended minimum of 256 MB.
Mail server Postfix is installed and configured.

Postfix is configured to support per-domain outgoing IP addresses.

The Read User Mail module is not setup to use the Postfix mail server. Either adjust its module configuration to match, or change the Virtualmin configuration.

… your system is not ready for use by Virtualmin.

Is there a genuine solution for this error…im doing nothing more than pissing around in the dark trying all sorts of supposed fixes and i havent a clue why they are not working.

How did you end up with a system in this state?

Is this a new installation or an old one?

The fix is easy (and can be automated on a recently installed system, if it was installed with a 6.0.x version of the installer), but I’d like to figure out what’s going on exactly before we proceed, as this may indicate something else has gone wrong somewhere. If a new installation, this indicates the installation failed…you should have gotten errors during installation. It’ll need to be installed again. But, obviously, if it’s an old installation, we don’t want to reinstall, we just want to fix the problem.

Edit: Also, what distribution and version?

Hi Joe,
i think when i first installed webmin/virtualmin i used the minimal install option (i had chosen a micro google cloud server) which runs other cpanels such vesta and ispconfig quite well as a fresh install.
I then changed servers to a larger one. I may have also changed static ipadresses too. I have not been able to get mail working at all, that was the start of my problems and in playing around with that something has gone pearshaped.

I have whmcs running on this instance as a virtualmin virtualserver…so its not a new install as such (with the exception of the email not functioning).

System hostname server3.mydomain.com.au (external ip address 35.x.x.x)
Operating system Ubuntu Linux 16.04.3
Webmin version 1.852
Usermin version 1.720
Virtualmin version 6.00
Theme version Authentic Theme 18.49-9
Time on system Tuesday, September 26, 2017 7:38 PM
Kernel and CPU Linux 4.10.0-35-generic on x86_64
Processor information Intel® Xeon® CPU @ 2.20GHz, 1 cores
System uptime 1 days, 0 hours, 8 minutes
Running processes 107
CPU load averages 0.00 (1 min) 0.00 (5 mins) 0.00 (15 mins)
Real memory 1.62 GB total / 303.91 MB used
Virtual memory 0 bytes total / 0 bytes used
Local disk space 9.63 GB total / 7.32 GB free / 2.31 GB used
Package updates All installed packages are up to date

Servers status —
Apache Webserver (running)
Postfix Mail Server (stopped) cannot seem to start this even if i reinstall postfix
ProFTPD FTP Server (running)
SSH Server (running)
MySQL Database Server (running)

clicking on Postfix Mail Server in servers Status" above produces the following error on screen… “Error - File not found”

Postfix is not in the list of “unused modules”

According to Webmin>System>bootup and shutdown…postfix is not in the list.

OK, --minimal basically doesn’t host user mail. It can send mail, but the mail stack is huge, mostly because of ClamAV, so most of it is excluded from the minimal installation.

Virtualmin has gotten bigger in version 6, due to a variety of new features, and we don’t have any way to shrink ClamAV. It’s just really big.

But, if you want to host mail, you need a full install. You can switch to a full installation probably safely by doing the following:

# apt-get install virtualmin-lamp-stack

This will install the missing packages for mail.

Then you can configure them:

# virtualmin config-system --include SASL Procmail Usermin Postfix

I think that’ll get everything. You’ll probably want to do the installation wizard again to decide which mail related servers you want running (if memory is at all a concern, you want to definitely disable AV and maybe even spam filtering entirely, both are quite large…that means not only not enabling the ClamAV daemon, but also disabling the AV scanning feature in features and plugins…I think it’ll already be off, because of the minimal install, but you should double check).

Let me know if things are still acting up after this. I don’t really know if there are other dependencies or interactions. I haven’t really testing switching between installation profiles like this. I don’t think it’ll break anything (more than it’s already broken for your use case, since you want mail and --minimal basically doesn’t provide mail).

Hi Joe,
thanks for that information…re your first comment,
“OK, --minimal basically doesn’t host user mail. It can send mail,”

That was actually exactly what i wanted in my original install, however i couldnt get it to send any mail for the whmcs virtual server. The mail was just stuck in the qued list. thats when i thought perhaps i would just install the remaining mail software (whatever wasnt installed with minimal virtualmin setup).

From my current position, could i simply remove all mail related software, then reinstall only that required to “send mail”?
What is the best procedure for doing this?