Re-Installing Virtualmin Pro without using Script

This would only effect new domains, is that right? or does the Template changes effect all Site?

If it only effects new DNS records are create time, I guess it really doesn’t answer my question; since it created the DNS record with the hostname originally, in this line

@ IN SOA hostname.com. root.hostname.com. (

I thought it best to change it to:

@ IN SOA mydomain.com. root.mydomain.com. (

just a guess mind you, I do not know what the SOA really does for me, and why I’d tie it to one URL, vs using its own URL, it seems to work both ways, let me know if it should reflect another URL, in which case, it would seem I need to have one just for Virtualmin, because I do not see another reason to have this option, which is where I get confused, and no amount of reading about DNS, has every gotten me closer to understanding, although I’ve been using it for years, I only have to deal with it when I’m installing a new server, and I do not do that often.

Then I added the below records to my registrar at Go Daddy, and also duplicated them in the Virtualmin DNS as well

NS1.mydomain.com. IN A 216.224.182.124 ;NS1 NS2.mydomain.com. IN A 216.224.182.124 ;NS2

mydomain.com. IN NS ns1.mydomain.com. ;NS1
mydomain.com. IN NS ns2.mydomain.com. ;NS2

I just want to make sure I’m doing this right; because my guess is that its best just to fix the DNS records so each is using its own URL for the DNS server.

I must have done something right, because now the Check Connectivity test works, I’ll reboot tonight and see if it stays that way.

Thanks for all the help.

This would only effect new domains, is that right? or does the Template changes effect all Site?

Correct, changes to the Server templates only affect new sites.

If it only effects new DNS records are create time, I guess it really doesn’t answer my question; since it created the DNS record with the hostname originally, in this line

Well, I wouldn’t worry about all this too much… it’s not going to make or break whether it works.

So long as the IP’s resolve to your own server, you’ll be fine.

I’d recommend setting “Master DNS server hostname” to ns1.domain.com, and I’d just ignore stuff like those SOA records for the moment, there’s plenty of other things to get up and running :slight_smile:

Once everything else is working, if you really want, you can then tweak the specific names that show up for your SOA records.

-Eric

I still have to add in 127.0.0.1 into the DNS record after every reboot, how can I fix this?

Howdy,

There’s a few solutions for that issue here in the article titled “Received Virtualmin error that 127.0.0.1 isn’t listed in /etc/resolv.conf”:

https://www.virtualmin.com/documentation/dns/faq

What usually works in this case is making the resolv config file “immutable”, so no service nor root can change it anymore: chattr +i /etc/resolv.conf

If you need to edit the file, revert the change with the same command and -i

Also, if you’re still looking for a hosting provider, I have room on my servers for another customer. :slight_smile: I use VMWare; no trouble with the usual OpenVZ stuff here.

I tried chattr +i /etc/resolv.conf

Hostname for Container set: vps-123.manage.myhosting.com
mv: cannot move /etc/resolv.conf.15740 to /etc/resolv.conf:
Operation not permitted ERROR: Can’t change file /etc/resolv.conf File resolv.conf was modified Container unmounted Container start failed .

Now the server is hosed, I hope they can run chattr -i /etc/resolv.conf to bring the server back up, I can not SSH in, the VPS is down.

Okay, it would seem you should really look for an alternative to this OpenVZ crap. How can they make it so that the thing won’t start if it can’t overwrite the resolv.conf. :expressionless:

I am going to let them fix this issue, its clear that its OpenVZ that has to overwrite this file and I asked myhosting.com to fix it so the DNS record contains 127.0.0.1, we’ll see what they say, if they can’t, then I’ll have to remove the DNS server bind and thats fine, it will work at least.

I’m waiting on a Glass Connections to my servers, I server about 150 GB of video, we have 50 web sites, not a lot, but, its hard to find a host that allows this, and I have gone thru many in the last few years, since my internet connection died here and I had to host else where.

They fixed it, now it doesn’t overwrite the file, I have no idea how they fixed it, no details.

Thanks for all the help; looks like this install is rock soild now.