ProFTPD: (Login failed): Not a UserAlias.

Jun 28 12:39:58 lostsignalnetwork proftpd[24568]: 67.212.74.234 (::ffff:[::ffff:]) - FTP session opened.

Jun 28 12:39:58 lostsignalnetwork proftpd[24568]: 67.212.74.234 (::ffff:[::ffff:]) - USER seanieb (Login failed): Not a UserAlias.

Jun 28 12:39:58 lostsignalnetwork proftpd[24568]: 67.212.74.234 (::ffff:[::ffff:]) - FTP session closed.

This seems to happen with every logon I try, even root. I just recently moved a bunch of servers from anothe vmin install to this one, if this helps… Any ideas?

Okay, I turned off “alias logon only”, but I still cant log in, there aren’t any log messages now other than session opened then closed…

This seems to happen with every logon I try, even root

Just to make sure this is not considered a troubleshooting technique…root should never work for an FTP login in a default ProFTPd (or vsftpd, or whatever FTP server). root logins are disabled by default in every FTP server I know of, and with very good reason.

So, are you sure you are using the right username and password? In a Virtualmin system, the default username format would probably make the username seanieb.domainname

You can always know the real username by looking at the “IMAP/FTP Login” field of the Edit Mail and FTP Users page.

Yep, the usernames are all right, still just get a FTP session opened, FTP session closed in the log, and a 530 error in the client…

I think I figured it out, if I override the password manually in the authentication config then it works. All these users have shell logins that work, and etc, I guess I can go with that for now

I have no idea what you mean by “override the password manually in the authentication config”, but I’m glad it’s working. :wink:

Just for clarification; not that I want to re-open an old thread; but I struggled with this problem for about 2 weeks, before noticing 1 little setting that made it all better.

Authentication > Only allow aliased users to login?

Change that to No and it will allow regular users to log in; provided they are allowed ftp access.