proftpd and php question

Hi,

i am new user to the virtualmin, and have few questions:
i am running php with fcgi as each user, and have default php.ini with error loging like this:
error_reporting = E_ALL & ~E_NOTICE & ~E_DEPRECATED

so every new server has got e_notice disabled, but still every server is logging notices in error_log
how can i disable this?

proftpd, users cant look inside error_log and access_log, is this normal? can i set somewhere that ftp users can see those files?

can i create ftp user with root on /home/domain/ as this user can access all the domains/ with chroot proftpd?
or is there an option how to secure proftpd so that users cant see other files outside their own /home/domain without chroot?

Best Regards,
Kristijan Lecnik

Howdy,

Well, you’d want to make sure that in $HOME/etc/php.ini – that it’s set the way you expect there. If it is, that suggests something about that setting isn’t working as desired, and you might need someone more familiar with PHP syntax than myself to assist :slight_smile:

proftpd, users cant look inside error_log and access_log, is this normal? can i set somewhere that ftp users can see those files?

Well, that all depends on your setup.

FTP users, by default, should be able to look in $HOME/logs/ and see the error_log and access_log. It’s possible to setup additional restrictions that would prevent that though.

can i create ftp user with root on /home/domain/ as this user can access all the domains/ with chroot proftpd? or is there an option how to secure proftpd so that users cant see other files outside their own /home/domain without chroot?

You can setup a number of restrictions by going into Limits and Validation -> FTP Directory Restriction.

If you were to set the limits to “Virtual server’s home directory”, that might do what you’re after.

-Eric

i am familiar with php.ini and config is working, i can edit post size, max upload and with reload it shows the changes, but it wont disable E_NOTICE.

as for proftpd:
ftp> ls
229 Entering Extended Passive Mode (|||27780|)
150 Opening ASCII mode data connection for file list
lrwxrwxrwx 1 user user 53 Feb 4 06:11 access_log -> /var/log/virtualmin/user.com_access_log
lrwxrwxrwx 1 user user 52 Feb 4 06:11 error_log -> /var/log/virtualmin/user.com_error_log
226 Transfer complete
ftp> get access_log
local: access_log remote: access_log
229 Entering Extended Passive Mode (|||58583|)
550 access_log: No such file or directory
ftp>

under FTP Directory restriction i have enabled

All virtual servers - Users’ home directories

this just sets chroot on for all users, but the i have a case, where i want to add only ftp access for a user to /home/user/domains/ but cant, as the system want to create domains/ folder, but it is already created, i have a workaround, i manuly edit users home in /etc/passwd but this is not a solution.

Kristijan Lecnik