ProFTPD 1.31 How to update the default version? Filezilla and FTPtest.net always fail.

Given that the rest of Virtualmin pretty much works out of the box - and has been better than I expected in almost every way - it’s a shame that when you set up a virtual server and add mail and FTP users - that you have to run around and make accommodations for the FTP to work. The Filezilla bug is well known - yet it would seem that the GPL and the commercial version ship with 1.31 - which in my experience doesn’t work and there are documented connection issues with FileZilla.

Unless of course I am supposed to go and set up FTP separately for every single virtual host.

Is this broken - or is their something I’m missing here.
Below is the story of my life…

“Error: Line feed received without preceding carriage return”
"# The replies sent by your server are violating the FTP specifications.

You have to upgrade to a proper server."

Reply: 220 ProFTPD 1.3.1 Server (xxxxxxxx.com) [::ffff:192.168.1.10]
Command: CLNT http://ftptest.net on behalf of xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
Reply: 500 CLNT not understood
Command: USER xxxx.xxxx
Reply: 331 Password required for xxxx.xxxx
Command: PASS xxxxxxxxx
Reply: 230 User xxxx.xxxx logged in
Command: SYST
Reply: 215 UNIX Type: L8
Command: FEAT
Error: Line feed received without preceding carriage return

What Linux distribution are you using?

CentOS I believe is the only one where Virtualmin provides the ProFTPd package.

If you’re using CentOS, my suggestion would be to file a bug report using the Support link above, and to include a link to the ProFTPd bug where this problem and resolution are explained:

http://bugs.proftpd.org/show_bug.cgi?id=3342

As far as Debian and Ubuntu go – Virtualmin doesn’t provide those particular packages, that would need to be resolved by the vendor in those two cases.

-Eric

The proFTPD 1.31 version I have is what came with the VM installer package. It’s also the version that comes from apt/aptitude. I see no way of upgrading it. APT/Aptitude wont point me to a new version. Trying to build from source just installs a second, poorly linked version on the machine. I’m at a loss of what to do.

Howdy,

So…which Linux distro is it that you’re using? :slight_smile:

With Debian and Ubuntu, all the Virtualmin install.sh does is use apt to install ProFTPd from your distro’s repository. It uses whichever ProFTPd package is available for your distro.

That means there isn’t a newer version available, you’re using the most recent. Your options are:

1. Install ProFTPd from source

2. Modify the ProFTPd .deb, configure it to use your preferred version, and rebuild the .deb

3. Since it sounds like we’re dealing with a bug in the package, you could also open up a bug report with the distro vendor regarding the issue. They should have an interest in applying the patch to the version of ProFTPd that they’re shipping.

-Eric

Ubuntu 8.04 LTS Clean Install of Virtualmin - I tried to build from source and all I achieved was having two separate installations of ProFTPd - The paths and configuration are beyond my scope of knowledge.

Yeah, you’ve done everything right with your Ubuntu and Virtualmin setup.

Unfortunately, one of the apps you’re using has a bug in it – you might want to file a bug report with Ubuntu regarding what you’re seeing.

Alternatively, if you don’t want to do that, or need a quicker response, you can always file a message in the “Jobs” forum if you’d like to hire someone to setup a newer ProFTPd daemon on your server.

-Eric

Yeah, you’ve got to be sure to upgrade to a proper server when doing FTP hosting. Best of luck with the Virtualmin!

There is no way this is a Ubuntu issue. The version of ProFTPD (1.31) that comes with Virtualmin is outdated, broken and buggy. End of story. How hard can it be to release instructions on how to update the install - or even better - configure the installer to install the current version.

How on earth am I expected to want to buy this product if it’s broken out of the box?
You have people on this very forum that state quite clearly that it’s broken - and that the only way to fix it is to uninstall it and go with something else. That doesn’t sound like a problem to anyone?