Problems installing DKIM

Hi all,

I am fairly new to Virtualmin, just in the process of setting up my first server.

I’d like to configure DKIM. When I click on ‘Domainkeys identified mail’ under ‘Server settings and templated’ I get the message

“DomainKeys indentified mail is not available on this system : The DKIM configuration file /etc/mail/dkim-milter/dkim-filter.conf does not exist. However, Virtualmin can attempt to automatically install the DKIM filter package for you.”

However, when I click on the ‘Install’ button, (I can see this essentially runs the command yum install dkim-milter) I get the error:

“No package dkim-milter available. Nothing to do… installation failed!”

I get the same message when I attempt this via the Command Shell.

Can anyone help?

Many thanks in advance,

Adam

Howdy,

Which Linux distribution/version are you using? And how did you initially perform your Virtualmin installation, did you use the install.sh script?

-Eric

Hi Eric,

I’m running CentOS 5.5. The Virtualmin installation was carried out by my provider, i.e. I ordered the Server with Virtualmin pre-installed. However I do see a file called install.sh in the root directory of the server, if that provides any indication. There is also a file called virtualmin-install.log which is nearly 4000 lines long - I could post here if it would help.

Do you suspect something has gone wrong on installation then, Eric?

Many thanks,

Adam

Do you suspect something has gone wrong on installation then, Eric?

Well, the problems that you’re describing almost sound like there’s no Virtualmin yum repository setup. Which wouldn’t make sense if you used the install.sh, as it adds the repository for you.

However, if someone else performed the install, it’s possible they tweaked something afterwards.

Or it could just be another problem altogether :slight_smile:

However, if you look in /etc/yum.repos.d, do you see a virtualmin.repo file (or similar)? If so, do you see anything in it that would suggest it’s disabled?

-Eric

Hi Eric,

Thanks for your help. I looked in /etc/yum.repos.d and found two files:

CentOS-Base.repo
CentOS-Media.repo

But no file named virtualmin.repo.

Can you offer any guidance on how to move forward from here?

Many thanks,

Adam

Can you offer any guidance on how to move forward from here?

So the problem in your case is that the Virtualmin repository is missing, so Virtualmin isn’t able to add the DKIM package.

That also would have prevented any Virtualmin updates from working.

The key then is to add a virtualmin.repo file, containing all the info for the Virtualmin repository. I don’t happen to have what it should look like on-hand though… I know some folks have posted them here in the forums in the past, one should turn up with a little digging through the forums.

-Eric

Hi Eric,

Today I’ve had another server come online, which was also ordered with VirtualMin. Thus, I was able to copy the file across from there and the installation of DKIM worked fine, so many thanks.

However, this made me examine the VirtualMin installation log on the first server, and I can see a succession of fatal errors, which makes me wonder what else may have gone wrong, so I have asked my provider to rebuild the server.

What confuses me is that the control panel environments do not look the same on the two boxes, despite the fact that both servers were ordered with CentOS and Virtualmin. One looks like Webmin, with access to the VirtualMin functionality through the nav on the left, while the other looks like VirtualMin with the facility to ‘toggle between’ Webmin and VirtualMin.

Am I right in thinking the VirtualMin can either be installed ‘on top of Webmin’ or itself on top of the CentOS operating system, and could this difference of approach explain what I am seeing?

I attach screenshot of the two server so you can see what I mean. Any help would be much appreciated - if I can just my head around these basics I will be off and running, as I can already see how awesome VirtualMin is.

Cheers,

Adam

Well, Virtualmin is a Webmin module… it can only run on top of Webmin. But there’s multiple ways to install it. The recommended way is using the install.sh script, which should install and configure all the necessary components for it.

The screenshots you’re showing make it appear as if either Virtualmin isn’t installed on your new server, or the Virtualmin theme isn’t loaded or working.

Either of which is really unusual for a freshly installed system :slight_smile:

You could always uninstall, then reinstall, Virtualmin (running “./install.sh -u” would uninstall it).

But if the installation failed, that may imply something else is wrong.

Alternatively, if you just want to see if the theme is there, you could always go into Webmin Configuration -> Webmin Themes, and see if the “Virtualmin Framed Theme” is present.

Again though, if it’s not active by default, that implies that either something was changed before you got to the server, or something didn’t work right.

-Eric

Thanks Eric. I have instructed the provider to rebuild Server 1, citing Server 2 as an example of how things should be. They’ve done so, and now everything is peachy.

They said I caught them as they made the transition from offering Webmin to VirtualMin as the standard no-cost control panel they offer (i.e. for those who prefer not to pay for Plesk). Very apologetic, etc etc.

Anyway, many thanks for your help and this issue is now solved.