Problem upgrading to virtualmin pro

Ok I’m a virtualmin noob and I could use some help with upgrading from GPL to Pro. I Currently have virtualmin gpl installed on ubuntu 7.10. Its working fine at the moment. The trouble is that i can’t upgrade my install to virtualmin pro.

I clicked the Upgrade to Virtualmin Pro link in the UI and enter my serial and license key and all i get is this:

Upgrade to Virtualmin Pro

Creating Virtualmin license file …
… done

Downloading and installing modules …

Installing virtual-server version 3.52 ..
  .. version 3.522.gpl is already installed

Some errors occurred while upgrading your system to Virtualmin Pro. Please check the messages above for possible causes.

What am I doing wrong?

It is a bug: installing on another server virtualmin version 3.49 the "upgrade" procedure to the PRO version works good.

It is normal? I’ve to install 3.49 on my servers by default?

Thank you

Where did you get 3.51? It doesn’t exist publicly, yet. :wink:

Once 3.51 becomes available, the upgrade should work…you can fake it by changing the version string in /usr/libexec/webmin/virtual-server/module.info to something lower (3.49). You’ll need to restart Webmin to pick up the version change.

Thk u Joe, we’ve found it on webmin public repository:
http://download.webmin.com/download/virtualmin/virtual-server-3.51.gpl.wbm.gz

And we’ve used it because we tought that 3.51 should be a newer release.
Btw, we’ve witched back to 3.49.

Thank for the support

Hi, Joe! I’ve been using Virtualmin 3.55 GPL for a little while now on Ubuntu 7.10. When I try to upgrade, I enter the License and Serial, but it seems to hang on the APT upgrade process. I get a lot of 404 errors. I’ve attached the errors in a text file.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Andrew

Hi Andrew,

First, thanks for using Virtualmin! Now onto the hard part :slight_smile:

Looking at your logs, it looks like you’re trying to upgrade to Virtualmin Pro?

The problems you’re seeing are because the distribution you’re using has reached it’s end of life – Ubuntu is no longer providing packages and updates for 7.10, so apt is showing 404 errors.

According to this URL:

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Releases

It looks like support ended back in April.

Virtualmin Pro also doesn’t have a package repository for 7.10, only the 8.04 LTS release. You can see some info regarding OS support here:

http://www.virtualmin.com/os-support

So, I guess what I’m saying is, you’d probably have a much easier time if you were to upgrade to Ubuntu 8.04 first. That would get your system up to date, but also will allow Virtualmin to work more smoothly by using a well-supported distro.

Have a good one!
-Eric

Thanks, Eric,

I started with a new server, installed Ubuntu 9.04, then Webmin and Virtualmin Pro. I think I have it mostly ready, but the webalizer.conf file is blank. What should I put into the webalizer.conf file?

Thanks,
Anrew

Well, first off – I think you may have jumped from one unsupported Ubuntu version to another – the version I mentioned above that Virtualmin supports is 8.04, rather than 9.04 :slight_smile: 8.04 is an LTS release, which is great for servers. 9.04 has a much shorter life cycle.

However, I’m not sure if that’s related to the problem you’re having there.

Where is the webalizer.conf file located that you’re looking at?

I’d be a bit surprised if the one installed by the webalizer package did that, so I’m wondering if that’s a different one…

The one I’m familiar with is in /etc/webalizer/webalizer.conf.

Have a good one!

-Eric

Thanks, Eric. For some reason Virtualmin was configured to look for the .conf file in /etc/webalizer.conf instead of /etc/webalizer/webalizer.conf. I pointed it toward the file you referenced and it worked just fine!

Thanks for the help,
Andrew