PostGreSQL and MySQL Config Files; Are They Backed Up on Back Up?

I was planning a PHP upgrade – actually now postponed until php 5.3.* is more stable.

So I backed up a number of virtual servers using VirtualMin Back up.

IN the Virtual Servers pane I selected only 3 web sites whose CMS’s are PHP dependent.
Under the “Features and Settings” I left it default to “Backup All features”.

I then proceeded to run all the virtualMin update packages, which included upgrades to MySQL and PostGreSQL 8.1.18 – the latter update overwrote the file

/var/lib/pgsql/data/postgresql.conf (we think… we are not certain)

Remote connections died shortly thereafter. Now, it is not clear if the original postgresql.conf had “listen_addresses=”" or not, suffice it to say that now it was showing “listen_addresses=“localhost” and this can be overcome with a runtime restart of psgresql using postmaster -i (equivalent to setting listen_address=”") at any rate, simple solution once you know what you are doing, But, sorry to say the ServePath tech support is very competent, but their tier 1 support never creates a .bac of files they touch…before they touch them. (irks some of our team no end… how could we regress if they made a mistake?) Anyway, “Jimmy” (could be someone in India) set listen_addresses=* and now everything works.

Happy ending, almost:

One of my senior back end team players wants to see the copy of postgresql.conf before jimmy touched it and before I upgraded PostGresSQL to 8.1.18 – not an unreasonable request.

That is a long winded intro 2 two questions:

1. How is a given data base “assigned” to a particular virtual server when backedup?
  2. If you chose specific servers on back up but have “Backup all features” checked on…
    is /var/lib/pgsql/data/ rolled into the back up? If so which one of the virtualServer.com.tar.gz’s (I have three of them now) will have which database? (goes to question 1…)

(I think that directory contains both the conf files and the data bases themselves, right? But you never see data bases by any name, only some ID number. as you can see I’m a very, very green dbase admin, not worthy of that title even (smile) But, “ya gotta start somewhere”

Thanks!

1) How is a given data base “assigned” to a particular virtual server when backedup?

Whenever a database is created, it’s associated with a given Virtual Server. During the backup process, it goes into a special directory in the backup archive. I forget the name off the top of my head, but it’s something like “.backup”. So if your database name is user_dbname – when you look in the backup archive, you’ll see something like .backup/db_archive.sql.

2) If you chose specific servers on back up but have “Backup all features” checked on… is /var/lib/pgsql/data/ rolled into the back up?

The databases associated with that particular Virtual Server would be dumped into it’s archive.

If so which one of the virtualServer.com.tar.gz’s (I have three of them now) will have which database? (goes to question 1…)

The one that the DB is associated with… so if you go into Edit Databases in Virtualmin, and you can see the database there… the Virtual Server selected at the time is the one the DB is associated with.

-Eric