Good morning all!

Monday evening I began having issues with Postfix- mail is not being delievered to mailboxes. after some testing, I find that the symlink /usr/bin/procmail-wrapper is not working.

I cannot find where it points to so as to rebuild it. can any one point me toward the answer?

thnaks again!
keith t


The “/usr/bin/procmail-wrapper” file should actually be a program, and not a symlink.

What output do you receive when running this command:

ls -l /usr/bin/procmail-wrapper

Also, which distro/version are you using? And did you install Virtualmin using the script? Or was it a manual installation?



thank you for the help…

CentOS 5.8
Virtualmin 1.590
yes, via (running for appx 4 years)

ls -l /usr/bin/procmail-wrapper

-rwsr-sr-x 1 root root 6846 May 10 2007 /usr/bin/procmail-wrapper (red background)

also find out 28 days ago that my UPS has failed. we had 3x power glitches over course of 24 hrs (line damage & repair)

some mail is coming in, but what does bounce (verizon testing account) shows the following:

Command time limit exceeded:"/usr/bin/procmail-wrapper -o -a $DOMAIN -d $LOGNAME"

also- did a yum update this morning, hoping that something would get repaired by this.
shut down clamd and spamassasind.

what else should I be telling you?

here are some procmail logs- when i sent another test message. (domain redacted)

From Wed Sep 26 14:59:31 2012 Subject: wednseday test Folder: /home/abXXng/Maildir/new/1348685976.25899_0.abXX 2383 Time:1348685979 User:abXXng Size:2445 Dest:/home/abXXng/Maildir/new/ Mode:None Time:1348685979 User:abXXng Size:2439 Dest:/home/abXXng/Maildir/new/ Mode:None From Wed Sep 26 14:59:39 2012 Subject: wednseday test Folder: /home/abXXng/Maildir/new/1348685983.25928_0.abXX 2419 Time:1348685983 User:abXXng Size:2481 Dest:/home/abXXng/Maildir/new/ Mode:None From Wed Sep 26 14:59:34 2012 Subject: wednseday test Folder: /home/aXXing/Maildir/new/1348685978.25910_0.abXX 2377


Well, your procmail-wrapper permissions and such look good. And the procmail logs you shared in your most recent comment look good, I don’t see any errors there.

For the error “Command time limit exceeded” that you mentioned – one thing you may want to try is to restart the lookup daemon. You can do that with this command:

/etc/init.d/lookup-domain restart

Also, what is the output of these two commands:

free -m uptime

That will show your available memory, as well as the system load.


good mornign Eric,
not sure what i have done, but it appears that things are almost back to normal…

restarted lookup-domains.

output: [root@log]# free -m total used free shared buffers cached Mem: 1264 851 413 0 189 365 -/+ buffers/cache: 296 967 Swap: 1983 0 1983 [root@log]# uptime 03:20:59 up 29 days, 15:34, 1 user, load average: 0.05, 0.07, 0.09

this was load averages overnight. it goes as high as .4-.5 on a regular basis. (this is an HP DL360 G2) that is why I have turned off spamd and clamav- those take load average to 2-4.
thank you again.
(so the procmail-wrapper being in a red background is NOT an issue?)



The procmail-wrapper being red when looking at it with “ls” just means that it’s SUID root, which is by design.

The load you’re seeing now does look normal – even a load of 1.00 isn’t something I’d be particularly concerned about.

Let us know if you run into further issues… and if you do, see if you can note what your load is at the time of the problem.


Thank you Eric~!

In a fresh Ubuntu 16.06 Virtualmin postfix/procmail install, the MTA complained not delivering mail to mailboxes with:

“Diagnostic-Code: x-unix; sh: 1: /usr/bin/procmail-wrapper: not found”

In fact, the file is missing in my system. I manage to work around changeing in the Wewbmin postfix cofiguration at:

Local Delivery // External command to use instead of mailbox delivery :


/usr/bin/procmail-wrapper -o -a $DOMAIN -d $LOGNAME

/usr/bin/procmail -o -a $DOMAIN -d $LOGNAME

…and fixed the issue.

Hope it may help!

This should not be the right way to do it.

I know i did something like this to before not remembering all

With the right systemconfig or some like this setup config command virtualmin for the mail you should get a working version. virtualmin config-system --include …

I hope support could write beneath a howto because i didn’t make notes and can’t remember.