Postfix problem, harsh time configuring the mail server

Hello everyone,

So last week I received my VPS configured with Virtualmin on it, when I ran the “Check the configuration…” it said that my system was not ready for Virtualmin because :

“A problem was found with your Postfix virtual maps : No map sources were found in the Postfix configuration”

I went to Postfix configuration > Virtual Domains, and I changed the map to : hash:/etc/postfix/virtual

Now when I run the “Check the configuration”, it says :

Your Postfix configuration is missing the system’s mail hostname ns from the mydestination line, which will cause mail to bounce.

On another note, I installed SquirrelMail or RoundCube on a “Virtual Server” using VirtualMin, but I can’t access any email address. It says : “Error connecting to IMAP server: localhost.”

Any help would be appreciated, thank you.

Howdy.

Your Postfix configuration is missing the system’s mail hostname ns from the mydestination line, which will cause mail to bounce.

What output do you receive when you run the command “hostname”?

That name should appear in /etc/postfix/main.cf, in the field “mydestination”.

I can’t access any email address. It says : “Error connecting to IMAP server: localhost.”

Is Dovecot running on your system?

You can verify that by running this command:

/etc/init.d/dovecot restart

Hi,

Just to a minimal install of Ubuntu then download the “install.sh” file from:

http://software.virtualmin.com/gpl/scripts/install.sh

Run the installer, and it will download all the dependencies (apache, postfix, etc)

*** I’m not a Ubuntu expert, so you may need some extras before the installer will run, however it’ll generally speaking prompt you if something is missing. ***

Let us know if you have any other questions.

Best Regards, Peter Knowles TPN Solutions

E: pknowles@tpnsolutions.com
P: 604-782-9342
W: http://www.tpnsolutions.com

Hello again,

Thank you all for your replies, it helped me a lot, just for the record, any user who’s having multiple problems configuring a virtualmin installation that their VPS provider gave them, should go for a new fresh installation.

Hi again,

Screw’em bad VPS providers, mine told me that they’ve installed Debian 6 with Virtualmin on it, but it was all messed up, I get something fixed and 10 other problems pop up. I guess they had an old img of a server and all they did was installing it on my VPS.

So I’m starting fresh, updated/upgraded all my packages, I’ll be running Ubuntu 12.04 LTS, but before I install anything I have a question, would I need to install Apache/PHP/MySQL/Webmin/Postfix etc on my own or would Virtualmin do that for me?

And if I’m asked to provide a Fully qualified domain name, should I provide a nameserver? One that I would use afterwards or just any domain name?

Thank you in advance.

By the way, if you are fans of Android, or would love to talk about it in forums, I’m about to open an online community for that at http://www.androidbone.com/ , I hope to see you around some time maybe.