postfix and users??

Hi All,
New to postfix but it came setup with the virtualminPro. I’ve run into a real problem with postfix doing what ever it wants. It insists on a user in the form

user-domain@host

in spite of virtualmin being setup for the form user@domain

When I created an account I got a postfix error, then checked unix users and found it had created both
user@domain and
user-domain
with the same user ID and path

When I tried to send mail to the user it got returned:

----- The following addresses had permanent fatal errors -----
< dan-testagain.com@solvdns.net] (reason: 553 5.3.5 system config error)

----- Transcript of session follows -----
553 5.3.5 mail.solvdns.net. config error: mail loops back to me (MX
problem?)
554 5.3.5 Local configuration error

and the mail log says:

May 14 06:53:43 hosta postfix/cleanup[[8807]]: B77958E000D: message- id=< 4466D4FF.5523.9088534@localhost]

May 14 06:53:43 hosta postfix/nqmgr[[5963]]: B77958E000D: from=< support@solvnet.net], size=1524, nrcpt=1 (queue active)

May 14 06:53:43 hosta postfix/smtpd[[8806]]: disconnect from h69-128-106-186.69- 128.unk.tds.net[[69.128.106.186]]

May 14 06:53:44 hosta postfix/smtp[[8808]]: B77958E000D: to=< dan-testagain.com@solvdns.net], orig_to=< dan@testagain.com], relay=mail.solvdns.net[[69.128.106.186]], delay=1, status=sent (250 2.0.0 k4EAtaUJ016189 Message accepted for delivery)

When I deleted the user dan-testagain I still got the same results. These are sent from a different host. Not sure what’s up, ready to go back to sendmail.

Dan

Hey Dan,

Unfortunately, Postfix is extremely ornery about @'s in usernames (actually, it will not deliver to a user with an @, nor will it accept mail from such a user). We’re still trying to work out all of the issues–thus, I’m not entirely sure what to recommend. The dual-username solution is obviously not ideal–but it’s the only thing that we’ve been able to figure out to get us closer to a smoothly working mail server with user@domain.tld usernames.

If you must have @'s in your usernames, switching back to Sendmail may be the easiest option. We’ll hopefully get Postfx and the @ problem figured out eventually…but I don’t have a solution at the moment.

Hey Dan,

After posting the previous message it struck me that it was an incorrect assessment (I blame it on being sick at the moment–still getting over some kind of cold-like thing). This is a case of something going wrong that we can address. I can say with confidence that the two users user@domain and user-domain is not the source of the trouble, as you’ve determined, and it is a necessary aspect of using @s in usernames with Postfix.

The problem, I think, is that the name of the machine is the same as the name of a domain that you’ve configured in Virtualmin…so you have two configurations for solvdns.net that Postfix is trying to contend with. I think. Maybe. Or something.

Can you email me your /etc/postfix/main.cf, /etc/postfix/virtual, and aliases file (probably /etc/aliases, but it can be different depending on configuration in Postfix)? I’ll have a look to see if I can figure out exactly what is going wrong.

There are still issues with having @s in usernames with Postfix at the moment, but I don’t think delivery is one of them.