POP3 problem

I setup VM Pro in April 2008; to a fresh install of CentOS 5.2; to this day I have not gotten the Pop3 Email service to run; I usually give up; but now I need to get it working. I guess I’m totally lost and the more reading I do, well it isn’t helping. Let me try to explain my issue.

The only changes I have made so far have been to un-comment two setting in dovecot.conf; pop3_uidl_format=… and disable_plantext_auth=no.

This is about the only issues I found in researching it (see below).

My issue is close to the first issue:

http://www.virtualmin.com/forums/help-home-for-newbies/re:impossible-to-login-to-my-mail-server-:-webmin.html

Looking at it and log files I noticed that dovecot is setup for pam
dovecot.conf

The one at this site looks like this

protocols = imap imaps pop3

pop3s

disable_plaintext_auth = no

log_path = /var/log/mail.log

protocol imap {}

protocol pop3
{
pop3_uidl_format = %08Xu%08Xv
}

auth default
{
mechanisms = plain
passdb passwd {}
passdb shadow {}
userdb passwd {}
user = root
}

plugin {}

This is Mine

protocols = imap imaps pop3 pop3s
disable_plaintext_auth = no
login_process_size = 64
protocol imap {}
protocol pop3
{
pop3_uidl_format = %08Xu%08Xv
}
protocol lda
{
postmaster_address = postmaster@example.com
}

auth default
{
mechanisms = plain
passdb pam {}
userdb passwd {}
user = root
}
dict
{
#quota = mysql:/etc/dovecot-dict-quota.conf
}
plugin {}
default_mail_env = maildir:~/Maildir

Should I change my auth default like above?

A few general question on fixing this:

1. If I backup; then run a new install.sh; then restore (assuming I’ll need to); will it fix things?
    or would I need to uninstall first; which might be better just to reinstall the OS.

2. I’m running CentOS; it has PHP 5.1; should I upgrade it or leave it at 5.1? I known this is my choice and not a VM question; but maybe a better question would be is there a better version of Linux to run?

3. Do you have a list of all the services requited and ones I can disable?

Thanks

Jeff

Post edited by: jflesher, at: 2009/01/21 11:14<br><br>Post edited by: jflesher, at: 2009/01/21 11:16

Howdy,

Firstly, can you post any errors you’re seeing in /var/log/mail.log?

Second, no, I highly recommend against re-installing anything :slight_smile:

I suspect there’s some config tweaks we can make, but before taking any guesses, I’d like to see the definitive errors (as seen in the mail log).

Also, how did you install? Did you initially install using the install.sh script? And which version of CentOS do you have?
-Eric

Attached is the maillog after trying a telnet localhost 110
I appended the secure entries at bottom to show the pam failure.

I have squirrel mail setup and can log in and send and receive mail so that works fine. Its not the user or password.

I installed using the install.sh (VM Pro) and latest CentOS (5.2 now) as of Apr 2008. I have all the latest updates.

Thanks

Jeff

Attachment for Mail log [file name=Maillog.txt size=3143]http://www.virtualmin.com/components/com_fireboard/uploaded/files/Maillog.txt[/file]

Are you sure you’re using the correct username? Look in Virtualmin’s Edit Mail and FTP Users page, and look for the IMAP/FTP login field. Are you using exactly what is shown there? I know you’ve mentioned that Squirrel is working…but, Squirrel can be configured to do tricky things with usernames automatically.

Also, I think I’d rather see a real client interaction, like Thunderbird, rather than telnet interaction. Too easy to make typos when telnetting it. :wink:

I’m absolution sure the user name and password is correct.
user jeff@MYDOMAIN.org
pass xxxxxxx

I’m also testing this in Outlook 2003; below are errors from it:

maillog
Jan 22 11:55:22 MYDOMAIN5200 dovecot: pop3-login: Disconnected: user=<jeff@MYDOMAIN.org>, method=PLAIN, rip=::ffff:69.88.230.39, lip=::ffff:69.88.230.34

secure
Jan 22 11:55:20 MYDOMAIN5200 dovecot-auth: pam_succeed_if(dovecot:auth): error retrieving information about user jeff@MYDOMAIN.org

I can also receive email from outlook sent from Squirrel mail.

I can send mail using Squirrel mail to outlook; but When I got it the from said
jeff.MYDOMAIN.org@MYDOMAIN.org

then I got to thinking; my user name is wrong; so I tried jeff.MYDOMAIN.org instead of jeff@MYDOMAIN.org and it worked fine; I am still confused; but at least it is working; but I don’t want it to work like this; jeff@MYDOMAIN.org should be correct. How do I fix this?

Thanks

P.S. So much for Absolution.

Jeff

Never mind; this is working right I’m just stupid; man I learned a lesson here; I got confused between my user account and my email address; I relived now that unlike my other email server not using VM; I don’t use my email address as my user name; that was the hole confusion; once I used my VM user name only it worked fine.

Is this in an FAQ I missed?

Sorry about that.

Jeff