Please help!!! i cant reinstall virtualmin

Hi dude, i newly buy a dedicated server… but it only come with webmin… no cpanel… normally on my other server i use cpanel… but now with webmin i understand nothing… how to setup my ip, how to add domain name and host it… how to create sql database for each separate domain… i cant did it… so on my new dedicated server i try to install virtual into the webmin… but when i try to create virtual host i got error message… so i decide to uninstall webmin and virtualmin… this is done… but now that i try to reinstall virtualmin… i got some error and the screen of my ssh explorer where i do the install command… gone blank… so i cant install anymore virtualmin… and i cant manage my dedicated server anymore… so please someone help me :wink:

i need help to reinstall webmin and virtualmin… and help to create my hosting for my domains… i hope a good webmaster will help me :wink:

thx

if it is possible for you to install centos 5.3 clean then it will be easy.
just ssh/wget the install.sh script onto the clean OS and run it.

Virtualmin will be practically running out of the box, ready to deploy websites.

any other advice I can’t give as the state of your OS and leftovers from webmin are unclear.

well i dont think i can reinstall centos on my server… but if you want i can give you the access to my server to help me to reinstall virtualmin…

you bought a dedicated server and it came with webmin…so someone put it on your server. That same someone can put a clean Centos on your server without webmin.
Then you can install it yourself in a simple manner…

It may not be necessary to remove Webmin to use the install.sh script.

Find out what kind of Webmin install it is:

rpm -q webmin

If that returns a standard Webmin package version, the install script will probably work just fine. If it’s something odd (like it has some extra letters in the version like “rs” or “rf”), it’ll have to go, since it’s probably not a complete Webmin or has things in different locations and will cause problems on upgrades and such.

And, if that returns nothing, then we’ll assume it is a tarball installation, and we’ll want to get rid of it. Most tarball installs end up in /usr/local.

So:

/usr/local/webmin/uninstall.sh

Might get rid of it. If that doesn’t do it, look around a bit to see where Webmin is installed, and find the uninstall script, and run it.

Then, check to be sure you don’t have any third party package repositories setup for yum. Check /etc/yum.repos.d and /etc/yum.conf for any packages other than the OS base and updates repositories. Set any others to enabled=no. You cannot have third party repositories that have any of the same packages available as our repos enabled while installing Virtualmin (you can enable those repos later, if you want to, and if you know what you’re doing with exclude and includePkg rules…if you have no idea what I’m talking about, you do not want third party repositories at all).

OK, so now that you’ve either figured out that the Webmin RPM is standard, or it is a non-standard RPM or a standard tarball installation and you’ve gotten rid of it; and you’ve made sure you have no third party software repositories configured on your system; you can probably run install.sh and out the other side will come a bouncing baby web hosting server where everything (or most everything) Just Works.

Woot! I just noticed that was my five thousandth post to the Virtualmin.com forums. :wink:

I’ve been working ons erevrs for a few years now.
using RAQ, DirectAdmin, CPanel, webmin/Virtualmin

I’m migrating everything to Virtualmin, but please note that this is a complex beast and you need to understand everything about where web sites actually go, DNS, SSH, FTP etc etc.

the guys on this forum are really great in providing support,
BUT one tip I have is if you are going to have web sites on here then use Virtualmin-Pro, it really does make things so much easier in managing your web sites and it will save you time and money.

one example is the abaility to install other applications (scripts) such as PhpMyAdmin, Shopping Carts, Forums etc. VirtualMin-Pro does this really easily (the last time I looked GPL did not have these features)

For anyone interested, this link contains the differences between Virtualmin Pro, GPL, as well as some competing products:

http://www.virtualmin.com/compare.html