phpmyadmin - single site or server?

Coming from a couple different control panels, I am use to having one central install of certain software, such as phpmyadmin, webmail ‘clients’ etc.

Looking at various posts on the forum, I have tried to do a server install of phpmyadmin, without luck.

I then installed to a specific domain using the scripts, which seemed to go ok, however, I cannot login entering the mysql info, just keeps returning to the standard login page, however ‘root’ is automatically filled in, as is a password.

Can anyone help ?

Well, it doesn’t matter where phpmyadmin is installed – whatever user you log in as, you should see the database that user has available to them.

If you see root’s user information when you browse to the page, that’s probably just because you logged in as root once, and told the browser to remember the password.

I like having one central install as well – I picked a “primary” domain for my server, and installed things like phpmyadmin, squirrelmail, and so forth under it… so people browse to http://my_primary_domain.com/phpmyadmin.com.

-Eric

Eric,

do you mean if i have :
domain1
domain2
domai3
domain4

and install phpmyadmin onto domain1, all the others can go to www.domain1.com/phpmy admin and loging to thie own respective db’s, i.e. a phpmyadmin install on one domain can ‘see’ all server db’s?

As for the root login info, I have never used phpmyadmin on that server before, so nothing should have been remembered! Anyway, using the right credentials, I still cant login!

I have now installed phpmyadmin onto a different virtual server and can login to the ‘local’ db, however, when I try to log into another db, from a different VS, I get and error:

#1045 - Access denied for user ‘other vs user’@‘localhost’ (using password: YES)

I am sure it is an obvious thing I have not done, but I cant find it is!

I have also found this in config.inc.php of phpmyadmin (lines 161-166):

/**

• MySQL user
  • @global string $cfg[‘Servers’][$i][‘user’]
    */
    $cfg[‘Servers’][$i][‘user’] = ‘root’;

Could this be the root user issue explained?

how did you install PMA?

on ubuntu/deb. you can run
“sudo apt-get install phpmyadmin”

This then installs it into one location on the server. You simply include the config file into your apache2.conf and you can then access it via
any-domain-you.want/phpmyadmin
im sure you could also set it up so that it’s accessible via a sub server (sub domain) too.

at least this is what i can do.
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/phpMyAdmin
when installing it would ask you for your mysql server root password so it can perform all the fucntions it needs.

hope this helps

Ashley