Performance Tuning ?

At last Iv managed to get everything working on my server!!!

But I have noticed that it is a little sluggish at times but all is working. I notice the sluggishness most when connecting to FTP. Its 3 or 4 seconds to responded with the welcome message and log me in. Logging into mail via the mail client is the same. And the website can be slow at times.

I’m only running 256mb of ram at the moment and generally 180 to 220 mb is used all the time. I can upgrade this to 384mb for next to nothing and to 512mb for a little more but not sure if that’s the problem currently.

So can anybody give me a quick run down on how to tune up the general performance of the server and services running on it using Virtualmin/webmin?

I notice the sluggishness most when connecting to FTP. Its 3 or 4 seconds to responded with the welcome message and log me in. Logging into mail via the mail client is the same.

FTP is almost certainly DNS. Reverse resolution isn’t working for the client your logging in from. You can disable reverse lookups in the FTP server. I’m not sure about Dovecot.

So can anybody give me a quick run down on how to tune up the general performance of the server and services running on it using Virtualmin/webmin?

Have you read the Virtualmin on low memory systems guide? That’s your first stop:

http://www.virtualmin.com/documentation/id,virtualmin_on_low_memory_systems/