Oracle Instance ProFTP no data transfer

SYSTEM INFORMATION
OS type and version Ubuntu Linux 22.04.1
Webmin version 2.001
Usermin version 1.860
Virtualmin version 7.3-1
Theme version 20.01.1:5
Package updates All installed packages are up to date

I have a fresh install of Virtualmin on an ARM64 based oracle cloud vm. ProFTPD is not working. Authentication happens but the file that is transferred is only 0 bytes. I have changed the log state of the ProFTPD to debug but there is no error logged. The FTP software developer says the FTP command channel works but the data channel is blocked. As far as I know all ports are open. I have no idea where else to look into!

Could it be because of the arm64 based system? Any help is appreciated.

I also had problems when I updated Ubuntu to version 22.04.1 with ProFTPD as well. I was also using an ARM64 machine. In my case this update broke ProFTPD and I was unable to run it. I wonder if Virtualmin supports Ubuntu version 22.04 since this worked with version 20.04.

Thank you for your response. Did you find a solution for it?

This has nothing to do with Virtualmin. We do not provide the ProFTPd package.

Virtualmin does support Ubuntu 22.04, but we don’t fully support ARM architecture (mail stack won’t work as it’s missing procmail-wrapper package, but otherwise should be fine).

We need to see logs to know what’s going on.

I don’t know if ProFTPd has a separate log in /var/log, or if it’d be in the journal (probably in the journal now). To look in the journal, journalctl -fu proftpd.

Hi Joe,

Thank you for your response, I also thought it is not Virtualmin’s issue but here in this forum I find people helpful and thought maybe someone had a similar issue.

journalctl -fu proftpd: simply says: session opened, session closed, as if there is no issue. I have set the ProFTP to debug mode, but there is no error logged there too. Anyway, I am checking on other forums related to FTP. Thank you again

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.