Ongoing fault logging in to Vmin:10000

Greetings all,

This is getting sillier.
Another week with still no access at all to Vmin

I can get an error message from https://netcapitalisation.com which identifies the Server address ok:

Index of /
[ICO] Name Last modified Size Description
Apache/2.2.3 (CentOS) Server at netcapitalisation.com Port 443

Vmin doesn’t appear to exist here:
https://netcapitalisation:10000

Firefox can’t establish a connection to the server at netcapitalisation.com:10000.
Though the site seems valid, the browser was unable to establish a connection.
* Could the site be temporarily unavailable? Try again later.

http://netcapitalisation.com/
produces the dumb index file uploaded during the testing phase when the new install did work - temporarily???
So the Server is there, the Vmin Website files are there,…

https://netcapitalisation.com:20000/
Sorta works. Comes up with an error to do with password.
Current password does not work, but doesn’t stop the partial access under Webmin.

For this old User (non-geek) none of this makes sense and there is no logical avenue to pursue it via docs.

My only thought left is the M$ one: when ANYTHING happens, trash and reinstall… :frowning:

Seem to remember Joe warning someone though, about re-installing, so will start looking there for now while hoping for a straw… (for drowning man to clutch at)

Cheers,
Himagain (still)

It was all working fine last week when last I emailed with you. What’d you break since then? :wink:

Anyway, you haven’t given us anything to go on, here, with regard to solving your problems. All of the error messages you’re giving us are client-side errors, and they basically all boil down to “it doesn’t work”, which you’ve already got figured out. We now need to find out why it doesn’t work.

For troubleshooting webserver problems, we need to see the relevant entries from the virtual servers Apache error_log and access_log–these show up in /home/netcapitalisation/logs. This looks like a pretty straightforward VirtualHost/NameVirtualHost mismatch as documented in the troubleshooting guide.

For troubleshooting Webmin, try just restarting it with “service webmin restart” from the command line. Also check to be sure you don’t have a firewall blocking port 10000.

For Usermin…looks like it’s working fine. Remember that Usermin is for mailbox users. It is not really intended for virtual server owners. If you haven’t created any mailbox users, you won’t have any useful purpose for logging into Usermin. But I’m pretty sure nothing is wrong with your Usermin. Once you get back into Webmin, you can look in the Edit Mail and FTP Users page to find out what the username is.

Seem to remember Joe warning someone though, about *re*-installing, so will start looking there for now while hoping for a straw...... (for drowning man to clutch at)

Don’t be ridiculous! Why would you re-install over something like this? Just look at the logs to see why things aren’t working the way you want them to. It’s certainly a minor misconfiguration (or two or three), and reinstalling will just waste more of your time, as you misconfigure it again in exactly the same way. Take a moment to understand the problem, and you won’t repeat it, and your box will be back in service in no time. As Einstein is said to have said, “Insanity is doing the same thing and expecting different results.” :wink:

Also, if you haven’t read the troubleshooting common problems documentation, I’d recommend giving it a once over now. It points you to the relevant log files and other useful bits.

http://www.virtualmin.com/documentation/id,troubleshooting_common_problems/

Hi Joe,
Look, I’m sorry to be such a “Constant Correspondent”, but I’ve never experienced problems such as these in the last 20 years or so of farting around with computers.
The key is that I’ve always followed the “Volkswagen Principle”: if it ain’t broke don’t fix it…

I haven’t changed anything in the last 5 breakdowns of the System. I’m just a user.

I don’t even run additional Vmin Reseller accounts. (I only have Vmin to make my running of the System easier vis: Script instals and the great GUI interface)

I simply use it all gingerly and even then, rarely, and it simply breaks - without any intervention on my part.

A classic example is this ongoing event:

1. I paid to have the Server re-installed.

2. I did ask for your help to re-install Vmin at the time just to make sure it wasn’t me - but you were unavailable for some weeks by mail (no answers but possibly part of my faulty Server system
    'cos the service here is actually amazing for a 1 man Band!)

3. I went ahead and did a bog standard install "by the book" and despite some very strange error messages that I was unable to capture, the install seemed to work ok.
    KEYPOINT:Everything I tested was working.

4. A few days later I went to access netcapitalisation:10000 and could not.
    Browser security errors that I’d never seen before. Changed to I.E. and same security error.

5. I couldn’t obtain any reports as you suggested, as I have no access to the Server itself.

6. At the end of the day, I’d rather pay you to re-install it for me and finally get on with the job.

RESPONDING TO YOUR COMMENTS:

Don’t be ridiculous! Why would you re-install over something like this? Just look at the logs to see why things aren’t working the way you want them to. It’s certainly a minor misconfiguration (or two or three), and reinstalling will just waste more of your time, as you misconfigure it again in exactly the same way. Take a moment to understand the problem, and you won’t repeat it, and your box will be back in service in no time. As Einstein is said to have said, “Insanity is doing the same thing and expecting different results.” :wink:

As I said originally and again - I can’t access anything at Server level at all.
AND The problems have often tested you - you may recall :-). As they are unexpected and not “trailable”/traceable without expert knowledge,there is nothing a Driver can do he needs a good, experienced Mechanic when the Automatic Gearbox simply begins to randomly change gears.

Also, if you haven’t read the troubleshooting common problems documentation, I’d recommend giving it a once over now. It points you to the relevant log files and other useful bits.

I think the support files are amazingly comprehensive -especially since there isn’t a whole Editorial/Docs Dept. working on them, but they might as well be in Chinese to a non-tech person… a User.

It was all working fine last week when last I emailed with you. What’d you break since then? :wink:

That’s it.The FIRST I knew about it was when it stopped working - with no interference from me. I had changed nothing.
(Already had big problems from using another Host in a getting-desperate VS trial situation that kept me busy after their con job as to their “burstable” performance guarantees)

For troubleshooting webserver problems, we need to see the relevant entries from the virtual servers Apache error_log and access_log–these show up in /home/netcapitalisation/logs. This looks like a pretty straightforward VirtualHost/NameVirtualHost mismatch as documented in the troubleshooting guide.

I’m sure you are right. For an expert it’s a snack! :slight_smile:
But, of course, I can’t get in to get them for you to look at.
THAT’s why I thought I’m better off re-installing and -yes- hoping that THIS time it will all work.
BTW: Einstein never did a useful thing again after he lost his first wife’s input.
Edison documented 18000 tries to get a working light bulb. :-}
Tesla was a natural. Giant General Electric got it all wrong, but he just “knew” and thus made the famous Rock Band, AC/DC possible…

Highest Regards,
Him…Again

Hi Joe,
Look, I’m sorry to be such a “Constant Correspondent”, but I’ve never experienced problems such as these in the last 20 years or so of farting around with computers.
The key is that I’ve always followed the “Volkswagen Principle”: if it ain’t broke don’t fix it…

I haven’t changed anything in the last 5 breakdowns of the System. I’m just a user.

I don’t even run additional Vmin Reseller accounts. (I only have Vmin to make my running of the System easier vis: Script instals and the great GUI interface)

I simply use it all gingerly and even then, rarely, and it simply breaks - without any intervention on my part.

A classic example is this ongoing event:

1. I paid to have the Server re-installed.

2. I did ask for your help to re-install Vmin at the time just to make sure it wasn’t me - but you were unavailable for some weeks by mail (no answers but possibly part of my faulty Server system
    'cos the service here is actually amazing for a 1 man Band!)

3. I went ahead and did a bog standard install "by the book" and despite some very strange error messages that I was unable to capture, the install seemed to work ok.
    KEYPOINT:Everything I tested was working.

4. A few days later I went to access netcapitalisation:10000 and could not.
    Browser security errors that I’d never seen before. Changed to I.E. and same security error.

5. I couldn’t obtain any reports as you suggested, as I have no access to the Server itself.

6. At the end of the day, I’d rather pay you to re-install it for me and finally get on with the job.

RESPONDING TO YOUR COMMENTS:

As I said originally and again - I can’t access anything at Server level at all.
AND The problems have often tested you - you may recall :-). As they are unexpected and not “trailable”/traceable without expert knowledge,there is nothing a Driver can do he needs a good, experienced Mechanic when the Automatic Gearbox simply begins to randomly change gears.

I think the support files are amazingly comprehensive -especially since there isn’t a whole Editorial/Docs Dept. working on them, but they might as well be in Chinese to a non-tech person… a User.

That’s it.The FIRST I knew about it was when it stopped working - with no interference from me. I had changed nothing.
(Already had big problems from using another Host in a getting-desperate VS trial situation that kept me busy after their con job as to their “burstable” performance guarantees)

I’m sure you are right. For an expert it’s a snack! :slight_smile:
But, of course, I can’t get in to get them for you to look at.
THAT’s why I thought I’m better off re-installing and -yes- hoping that THIS time it will all work.
BTW: Einstein never did a useful thing again after he lost his first wife’s input.
Edison documented 18000 tries to get a working light bulb. :-}
Tesla was a natural. Giant General Electric got it all wrong, but he just “knew” and thus made the famous Rock Band, AC/DC possible…

Highest Regards,
Him…Again