On server mail received, off server mail not received

I am trying to get a confirmation email from PayPal so that I can verify my email address.

I can email this address from Outlook via a domain on the same VPS, but not from off server (Yahoo).

I created a new email address and replicated the exact same behavior (with the interesting outcome that my on-server message ended up in SPAM, but was still received whereas the off-server message never did).

I set up most of my domains through the Vmin module for WHMCS, so I don’t expect to have problems like this, as Virtualmin gets a clear shot at doing whatever it needs to do.

Can anyone tell me to what this symptom points?

Thanks,
K

Howdy,

You may want to take a look at your email logs, in either /var/log/maillog or /var/log/mail.log, for clues as to what’s happening.

The other thing to verify is to make sure your DNS is correct… and in particular, your MX record. You can go to intodns.com to get a report for your DNS settings.

Oh, you may also want to verify that your ISP doesn’t block incoming port 25, ISP’s blocking the SMTP port is a common cause of issues.

-Eric

Eric, I checked intodns, and only thing remotely like a warning is : “Number of MX records OK. Looks like you only have one MX record at your nameservers. You should be carefull about what you are doing since you have a single point of failure that can lead to mail being lost if the server is down for a long time.”

I recall from previous occurrences that I had to add the new domain manually to the list of domains for which postfix should handle mail or something? server alias? virtual alias table?

I just can’t recall the details.

K

You only need one MX record, so if it says you have one, you’re in good shape.

You do not need to manually add the domain to Postfix… if the “Mail for Domain” feature is enabled, then it should work just fine.

At this point, the thing I’d recommend is to send yourself an email, then look in the email logs to see what’s going on.

Also, if you can say one of the domains that you’re having trouble with, I can check and see if SMTP is available remotely. You can always edit your post and remove the domain later, if you’re reluctant to post it :slight_smile:

-Eric

The latest that I understand is that Jamie may have said that I need to add the domain to the mydestination line (?) - I was unaware that this should require any intervention, as you indicated, as long as the box is checked.

The Ticket is at https://www.virtualmin.com/node/14137#comment-61822

Thanks, Eric.
Ken