Odd issue (with solution) with Rocky Linux

hi - i dont know if this is also an issue with Centos/RedHat as well, but here is what happened:

[root@cloud ~]# /usr/libexec/webmin/changepass.pl /etc/webmin root zzyzx15zzyzx
Can't locate ./acl/md5-lib.pl at /usr/libexec/webmin/changepass.pl line 6.
[root@cloud ~]# find  /  -name  md5-lib.pl
/usr/libexec/webmin/nis/md5-lib.pl
/usr/libexec/webmin/acl/md5-lib.pl
/usr/libexec/webmin/htaccess-htpasswd/md5-lib.pl
/usr/libexec/webmin/useradmin/md5-lib.pl
/usr/libexec/usermin/changepass/md5-lib.pl
/usr/libexec/usermin/htaccess-htpasswd/md5-lib.pl
[root@cloud ~]#
[root@cloud ~]#
[root@cloud ~]#
[root@cloud ~]# cd   /usr/libexec/webmin/
[root@cloud webmin]#
[root@cloud webmin]#
[root@cloud webmin]# /usr/libexec/webmin/changepass.pl /etc/webmin root zzyzx15zzyzx
Updated password of Webmin user root

the only way i could change a password was to cd into the /usr/libexec/webmin/ directory.

so far all i have done is to:

#  https://forum.virtualmin.com/t/rocky-linux-is-alive/110740/4
 wget  https://raw.githubusercontent.com/virtualmin/virtualmin-install/master/virtualmin-install.sh ;
 ## virtualmin-install.sh change *vm_version=7* to  *vm_version=6*
chmod 700  virtualmin-install.sh  ;
./virtualmin-install.sh ;

i understand all this is highly experimental, but thought best to mention it.

Rocky Linux
Linux cloud.netlinkonline.net 4.18.0-240.22.1.el8.x86_64 #1 SMP Mon Apr 12 04:29:16 UTC 2021 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

That’s expected behavior, I think. (The ./acl/md5-lib.pl bit tells the story. That’s a Webmin lib and a relative path…so, for that relative path to make sense, you have to be in the webmin dir.)

But, I think pretty soon the webmin command will have a password subcommand. I don’t see it in the current package, but I think we’d discussed it…maybe I imagined it. But, it should be there, so if Ilia or Jamie don’t get to it first, I’ll add it eventually.

1 Like

yeah i figured it was pretty minor.

Hi,

This issue has been resolved for Webmin 1.974+. We added a new webmin command called passwd, which enables you to change Webmin user password from any location by running:

webmin passwd username
1 Like

once again and as always, Ilam, thank you so much. i just posted your reply to me on several websites that still are suggesting the obsolete method that i referenced.

Thank you, Mario!

This topic was automatically closed 8 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.