Not able to view emails

I upgraded Ubuntu from 12.04 to 14.04 today. After the upgrade no user on my server is able to see there email. Some of the users are using Usermin, some are using Outlook and some are using Thunderbird to collect there email. Prior to the update all users could view/send receive their email with out any problem. If I view there email through Webmin> Servers> Read User Mail> I can see that they all have new mail in their accounts. But when they click send and receive in there email client or they login to Usermin there appears to be no email to collect.

Do you have any suggestion what may be causing this and how to fix it?

More info

After some further thought. When the upgrade was first finished the web servers were uncontactable because apache would not start. to get apache to start I read an article which said to replace

LockFile /var/lock/apache2/accept.lock

with

Mutex file:${APACHE_LOCK_DIR} default

but that did not work. Then I found another article which said to comment out

and that produced another error on the line

Include /etc/apache2/httpd.conf

which I also commented out and then that moves the error to another line

Include /etc/apache2/conf.d/

Then an error appeared in /etc/apache2/mods-available/ssl.conf at the line

SSLMutex file:${APACHE_RUN_DIR}/ssl_mutex

Which I also commented out. After that appache started but no one could get there mail using Outlook, Thunderbird or Usermin. I now realise that all of the above was probably not the answer.

Ran a whole bunch of testing today. Also loaded a clean install of Ubuntu 41.04.2 and used install.sh to install Virtualmin.

The first thing of importance is the line in my version of /etc/apach2/apace2.conf that reads

I commented it out and replaced it with a line for the fresh install I mentioned above which looks like

Mutex file:${APACHE_LOCK_DIR} default

I also had to create a folder /run/lock/apache2/ssl_mutex Then I un-commented all of the other lines I mentioned in the previous post except #LockFile /var/lock/apache2/accept.lock

Then I removed the ‘/’ form the end of

Include /etc/apache2/sites-enabled
Include /etc/apache2/conf.d

As described in the apace2.conf its self.

All of that just to set apache back to working again.

But the mail is still not working with either using Outlook, Thunderbird or Usermin.

Some of the users are using Usermin, some are using Outlook and some are using Thunderbird to collect there email. Prior to the update all users could view/send receive their email with out any problem. If I view there email through Webmin> Servers> Read User Mail> I can see that they all have new mail in their accounts. But when they click send and receive in there email client or they login to Usermin there appears to be no email to collect.