: Not a valid module file : tar: This does not look like a tar archive tar: Skipping to next header tar: Exiting with failure st

Hi. I am fumbling my way around and need some assistance please (and Thank you in advance) I am trying to install Virtualmin thru Webmin. Webmin was able to install the package which i downlaoded from here (http://download.webmin.com/download/virtualmin/webmin-virtual-server_5.99.gpl_all.deb) and it also said i needed to download and install the virtual min theme which i did from here (http://download.webmin.com/download/virtualmin/webmin-virtual-server-theme_9.2_all.deb) when i installed the virtual min package it says it was successful and as per instructions i should install the theme which i am trying to do but get the message ( : Not a valid module file : tar: This does not look like a tar archive tar: Skipping to next header tar: Exiting with failure status due to previous errors)

This is the really hard way to go about this.

We strongly recommend you use our automated install process documented here: https://www.virtualmin.com/download

The only reason to ever install manually is if you’re using an OS that our installer doesn’t support, or you’re working on a system that is already in production. In which case, you should still use our yum or apt-get repositories instead of using the wbm packages.

Also, you probably don’t want the old virtual-server-theme. It’s been deprecated in favor of Authentic Theme, which is now the default theme in Webmin. I’ll ask Jamie to update that information about the theme. It’s not needed or useful today.

Okay So i followed your suggestion to install thru your script. The installation went thru successfully. But HUGE ISSUE. When i try to go to the websites that we had on this server which are magento 2 website i get the default apache2 page. Can you please help me fix this

Oh, no!

To quote my reply: “The only reason to ever install manually is if you’re using an OS that our installer doesn’t support, or you’re working on a system that is already in production.” Sounds like you’ve got a system that was already in production…so, you can’t use the install script on it, without it breaking things. There’s a big warning saying don’t run the install script if you’ve already got stuff configured on the system.

But, it doesn’t harm user data. It just changes configuration files that can make things that were working before not work after (which is why we say in many places don’t use the installer on a system that isn’t a fresh system). So, it’s not a big deal…we just need to configure that site and import it.

So, where is the site installed? Was in a user home directory? Was it initially created by Virtualmin or some manual configuration?

With that info we can proceed on importing it into Virtualmin and getting it re-enabled in Apache.

Hi Probably I misread or was over excited to get this working ( i think it was the later). I did e-mail you a response but donr see it here so Gonna do it again. Both the virtual hosts were installed manually and then when they were running webmin was installed and I could see them under the apache server as virtual hosts. Then installed Virtualmin using the script and kaput (lol). Okay so the websites are magento websites and therefore following their instructions was installed under /var/www/site1/html
and the second was /var/www/site2/html

OK, so that’s expected. When we configure Apache for use with Virtualmin we set it up for sites run out of /home. While it is possible to run sites out of /var/www and /home at the same time, there are some security implications (suexec can only work on one or the other, and with a Virtualmin install it is /home, so /var/www cannot also be suexec docroot), and some potential gotchas in how Apache resolves which site to serve that can be very confusing.

I would recommend you do the following:

1. Create new domain-based virtual hosts in Virtualmin. This will create a new directory in home named /home/domainname
  2. Copy your files from your sites in /var/www into /home/domainname/public_html (if they are PHP apps…if CGI, they’d go in cgi-bin). Or, if it is an application supported by Virtualmin’s Install Scripts interface (Magento is, since you’re using Virtualmin Pro), you could start fresh and let Virtualmin install it…that way it could notify you of updates via email, make updates easier, etc. You could still import the database if you have data already in your old site(s).
  3. If you copy the files over, rather than doing a fresh install with Install Scripts, you’d need to “chown -r domainname:domainname /home/domainname/public_html/*” to make it runnable under suexec as the domain user.

If you already have data you want to keep in the database, you can simply import it using the Edit Databases->Import Database tab. Or, if you want to dump and restore it into a new database, the Webmin MySQL module can be used. (Importing is done using the “Execute SQL” page.

Hi Joe,

Im happy to go with a fresh install but when i do that or When i try to install magneto fresh thru your install script then it gives me a different error which is being handled by Jamie and Andrey and the incident is https://www.virtualmin.com/node/52387
I feel like i am going round in a circle now. MY live websites are now down for 3 days.