No Save Button for Create Virtual Server?!

I see no way to save my domain anymore. It just updated the Authentic Theme to 2.011, so I’m not sure if this is the cause or not. What can I do?

SYSTEM INFORMATION
OS type and version AWS LightSail
Virtualmin version WebMin: 2.011 - VirtualMin:

Works for me. What browser? Do you have any extensions that might be hiding it? (Maybe it looks like an ad to some adblocker?)

Latest Chrome. Nothing has changed in my browser for months in terms of configuration. This browser is only used for administration, so it’s not a daily driver. Only that I just updated to the new theme that appeared in the updates. My dashboard will not load, but other pages seem to work.

Things I’ve tried

• Hard cleared cache
  • Restarted browser
  • Updated browser
  • Restarted Debian
  • Switched themes

Also experiencing some 525 SSL errors since the update. Strange all of this would occur right after the theme update.

That sounds like you’re running a development version of the theme. Normally theme updates as part of Webmin, not separately.

If you’re running Ubuntu/Debian this may be a known issue with an easy workaround: Error reading file /etc/network/interfaces: unexpected line 'source-directory /etc/network/interfaces.d' - #20 by Joe

I did notice this error. I have yet to look into it. I’ll look into this LONG thread about applying the “easy workaround.”

I’ll keep this in mind next time I see an update for the theme. I didn’t think this was a development version of the theme since it popped up in the UI as an update. Maybe dev versions shouldn’t appear with the Bell notification.

I linked you directly to the Solution comment, which provides the easy workaround.

They would only appear as an available update if you had switched to the development/git version of the theme manually in the past. It is not offered for normal installs.

That said, Webmin did just have an update, which includes a theme update, but it would not have appeared in the available updates as a theme update…it would have been shown as webmin.

Thank you. I’ve applied and rebooted.

They would only appear as an available update if you had switched to the development/git version of the theme manually in the past. It is not offered for normal installs.

I don’t recall doing this. Is there any way to revert it?

That said, Webmin did just have an update, which includes a theme update, but it would not have appeared in the available updates as a theme update…it would have been shown as webmin .

I applied this update a few days ago and no issues until this theme update I applied.

Theme Configuration (the palette icon in the left menu)->Configuration Category: Theme Updates

Set Check for Authentic Theme updates to “No”.

That page will also show you what theme version you have. Webmin 2.011 has 20.11.1, which is the current release version.

Thanks. I just reloaded a snapshot and saw the update was in fact “webmin 2.011” and not just the theme. I applied the update and here are the versions reported. There appears to be some discrapancy in the theme versions reported on the dashboard vs. theme configuration.

System hostname ip-x.ec2.internal (x.x.x.x) Operating system Debian Linux 10
Webmin version 2.011 Usermin version 1.860
Virtualmin version 7.5 Authentic theme version 20.11.1:4

On the Theme Configuration Page:

Check for Authentic Theme updates: No (installed version 20.11.1)
Interval for running updates check: once a day
Install theme updates for Usermin as well: Yes

Any thoughts on this?

ALSO:
Dashboard working fine, but then I noticed a popup that says a new theme version installed: refresh. I click refresh and the issues begin. Once I click refresh the dashboard fails to load. There is still no button to create a virtual server - didnt get to test before clicking refresh - , and under IP config on the create virtual server page the following error is listed.

Error reading file /etc/network/interfaces: unexpected line ‘source-directory /etc/network/interfaces.d’

Trying to apply the fix you mentioned now, but there seems to be other issues present.

The comment I linked you to fixes this. No “try” about it. :wink:

The comment I linked you to fixes this. No “try” about it. :wink:

Applied the fix referenced in the provided link via SSH. I then restarted Webmin via SSH. The create button is now visible in create virtual server config and the network interface error is gone. I then rebooted the instance via SSH, but now cannot connect anymore via SSH (I gave it 10 minutes - no dice). Also rebooted the instance completely and still no SSH.

It seems that the proposed solution breaks network connectivity somehow on AWS LightSail Debian 10. I will now have to perform another snapshot migration to a new instance and do it all over again without apply the 2.011 update.

I think there are still some issues to work out here! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

:exploding_head:

I can’t understand why/how making the change I suggested would break network, assuming the original really was exactly the same.

I guess I need to update the comment there, but I can’t figure out how it could break network. Surely Debian hasn’t removed source from their network configuration scripts…

In my other Debian 11 system running in VM it’s just listed as source, and I also can’t imagine why this would break an AWS install unless there’s something specific to AWS at work here. I’m curious what other systems have the ‘source-directory’ vs ‘source’ as config parameters in interfaces.

In any case, if AWS web based SSH won’t connect to the instance after the change there’s definitely something amiss with this change and AWS.

Ilia figured out why this would have broken network, depending on which line you changed to source syntax from source-directory (which is a directive Webmin doesn’t recognize, yet).

The actual solution is to change both source-directory lines to use source syntax, but keep the paths the same (just add a /* on the end). There are two different paths, I thought they were the same, but one is in /run and one is in /etc. Presumably the one in /run is actually the one doing the config, and is probably network storage managed by the hosting provider.

I’ve updated the comment on that thread. Sorry for the inconvenience.

No worries. Great software and support, which are both found with this software and community, are much appreciated.

After reloading a snapshot I tried the suggestion offered by hasse_basse1 by only having the one line below in interfaces.

source /run/network/interfaces.d/*

This change worked after a reboot, so I went ahead with the Webmin 2.011 update. Update completed and it seems that everything is back to normal. In my case with AWS LightSail, this is the correct solution.

This topic was automatically closed 8 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.