No package updates in > 1 month?

SYSTEM INFORMATION
**OS type and version: CentOS 8.4.2105
**Webmin version: 1.979
**Virtualmin version:
**Related products version:

Hi folks,

I’ve noticed that there hasn’t been any package updates waiting for me on my Webmin dashboard in well over a month; usually there’s at least 1 or 2 every couple of days. I checked the “Software Package Updates” and had it clear the cache and check for updates, and it says there’s nothing. I did notice that the latest PHP release is 7.4.22 and came out last week, and I’m still on 7.4.21 (though I know there’s often a delay before they’re available to Virtualmin).

Anything I should be concerned about? Or just a slow summer?

Foul

We do not provide the PHP packages. They come from your OS repositories (just like nearly everything else, except our packages), or from whatever additional repositories you’ve configured, if any. There is no delay related to Virtualmin, because PHP doesn’t come from Virtualmin.

The version of PHP provided by CentOS is currently 7.2.24. You have apparently added another repo for PHP 7.4. Third party repositories are rarely as actively maintained as the OS defaults, and thus should be used with caution.

Understood; I’ve got EPEL and Remi repositories installed, which is where I get php 7.4. However, when I just ran “dnf update” from command line, it came up with a pile of updates, including php 7.4.22 as expected. Why is the Virtualmin software package update no longer working, then? I stress that it was working great until about a month ago.

Foul

Huh. I’m not sure. I haven’t seen that behavior. It used to be that Virtualmin would only show available updates that it considered “managed by” Virtualmin (i.e. Apache, Postfix, PHP, etc.) and that list was manually updated over time to add new package names and such…but, I don’t think that’s how it works anymore (it was a mistake for it to act that way, as it made people think they were updating everything even though Virtualmin was only ever telling you about things installed as part of the Virtualmin install).

So, I don’t know why you wouldn’t see available updates.

This topic was automatically closed 8 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.