No luck creating 2nd virtual server on Joyent

I have a Joyent server for 2 websites: FooFightersPhotos.com and FooFightersBlog.com

While creating the 2nd, virtualmin throws the following error:

… Apache website failed! : Failed to open /home/ffblog/logs/access_log for writing : Bad file number at …/web-lib-funcs.pl line 980.

Any ideas? Joyent tech support is fresh out

Howdy,

That’s a fairly unusual error you have there :slight_smile:

First, is it correct that your username is ffblog?

Does the directory /home/ffblog/logs exist? In theory it should be created automatically, but if not, it’s possible that it might help for you to manually create it.

If it already exists, is there also an existing file in it named access_log? If so, perhaps you could try moving it out of the way.

Do you know what version of Virtualmin you’re using there? It should say on the front page after you log into the web interface.

Lastly, do you have command line access? I’m curious what the output of these three commands is:

• quota -v ffblog
  • mount
  • df -h

Thanks,
-Eric

This occurs when the logs directory doesn’t exist. I’m not sure why that would happen…unless the directory was moved outside of Virtualmin’s knowledge (e.g. from the command line).

I see the log directory via ssh, here’s my latest attempt:

Creating administration group foofightersblog.com .. .. done

Creating administration user foofightersblog.com
… done

Creating aliases for administration user …
… done

Adding administration user to groups …
… done

Creating home directory …
… done

Creating mailbox for administration user …
… done

Adding new virtual website …
… Apache website failed! : Failed to open /home/foofightersblog.com/logs/access_log for writing : Bad file number at …/web-lib-funcs.pl line 980.

Creating MySQL login …
… done

Creating Webmin user …
… done

Re-loading Webmin …
… done

Saving server details …
… done

Hmmm…is /home actually the right place for this user? We’ve seen a similar error when trying to right to a read only file system. Are homes actually somewhere else on this system? (I would think Virtualmin would already be configured for that…but maybe not.)