Nginx SSL website failed

I bump into this problem with the first ‘Setting Up Virtual Server’, all parts of its creation went fluidly, except for the LE part;

Creating SSL certificate and private key …
… Nginx SSL website failed! : virtualmin-nginx-ssl::feature_setup failed : Failed to open /etc/letsencrypt/live/somedomain.nl/cert.pem.webmintmp.19106 : Permission denied at /usr/share/webmin/web-lib-funcs.pl line 1427, line 1.

I’m getting this with
Webmin version 1.831
Virtualmin version 5.07
Nginx version 1.11.12
perl 5, version 22, subversion 1 (v5.22.1)
on an Ubuntu Linux 16.04.2 x64 server…

If you need any more info to work this out, I’ll be glad to provide it.

Another thing of note here is that it has created a file /etc/nginx/sites-available (not a dir, which is, well, unusual to say the least) with this content:

server { server_name somedomain.nl www.somedomain.nl; listen 193.x.x.x; listen [2001:67c:xx:xx]; root /home/somedomain/public_html; index index.html index.htm index.php; access_log /var/log/virtualmin/somedomain.nl_access_log; error_log /var/log/virtualmin/somedomain.nl_error_log; fastcgi_param GATEWAY_INTERFACE CGI/1.1; fastcgi_param SERVER_SOFTWARE nginx; fastcgi_param QUERY_STRING $query_string; fastcgi_param REQUEST_METHOD $request_method; fastcgi_param CONTENT_TYPE $content_type; fastcgi_param CONTENT_LENGTH $content_length; fastcgi_param SCRIPT_FILENAME /home/somedomain/public_html$fastcgi_script_name; fastcgi_param SCRIPT_NAME $fastcgi_script_name; fastcgi_param REQUEST_URI $request_uri; fastcgi_param DOCUMENT_URI $document_uri; fastcgi_param DOCUMENT_ROOT /home/somedomain/public_html; fastcgi_param SERVER_PROTOCOL $server_protocol; fastcgi_param REMOTE_ADDR $remote_addr; fastcgi_param REMOTE_PORT $remote_port; fastcgi_param SERVER_ADDR $server_addr; fastcgi_param SERVER_PORT $server_port; fastcgi_param SERVER_NAME $server_name; fastcgi_param HTTPS $https; location ~ \.php$ { try_files $uri =404; fastcgi_pass unix:/var/php-nginx/149060615019106.sock/socket; } } . Looks a little strange to me. Why is all the fastcgi included, while this could be done using include /etc/nginx/fastcgi_params ? Also, no certs, no port 443 listen block.

Wow, no response. Virtualmin ends up a disappointing control panel. I get failure after failure with the simplest of tasks in one of the largest linux server OSs today.
If it wasn’t for their exim over postfix choice I would have gone with https://vestacp.com/
Sad thing really, there just isn’t 1 control panel out there that advances with linux OS conventions, offers best choice in server apps, and keeps itself fully functional despite of that choice.
I think the conclusion I can draw from trying them all out (I really have, on a new server, doing OS reinstall after clean reinstall), even some paid ones, is that I’m better off just using Webmin only (mainly because it offers a great CSF/LFD interface) and doing the rest via commandline, offering some scripts to automate the stuff my users would want. I like the Perl backing of webmin, always loved perl, it’s very reliable and versatile, and easy to edit, but the devs of virtualmin aren’t really getting it, as far as I can tell. Looks interesting on paper, but the execution is pretty flaky.

Well to be honest about SSL if you cant spend 5$/year for proper SSL then maybe is better if you go for shared hosting, or with fully managed VPS/dedicated server and you dont need to worry about anything.

For nginx i cant comment as i never used with Vmin so its hard for me to make any conclusion, e.g. the reason are bugs withing Vmin or something else.

@Meow: I’m a newbie to a production Linux system and to using Virtualmin GPL. My understanding is that any responses to these forums for a VM GPL user is strictly on the kindness and generosity of any VM user, not specifically for the VM developers. So when I post a request for help here, then I know that I may have to be patient before someone hopefully replies, but a reply is not guaranteed.

If I wanted more prompt and guaranteed help, I would (and I have in the past) pay for the monthly VM Pro license. Then I submit a ticket not in this forum, but in the SUPPORT section:
https://virtualmin.com/support

I have found the response from VM developers in the Support section quite timely and have been very satisfied with their help and support, both with timeliness and quality of technical know-how. The experienced help that I have received both from the paid Support section and the volunteer free Forum section has enabled me to create a secure production Linux system (somewhat secure anyways :-)) that I can use VM GPL to add what I need to my server.

I’m not 100% sure, but I don’t think that Nginx is completely supported in VM/Webmin currently and that they are working on a tighter integration of Nginx in the next iteration of VM/WM. Someone please correct me if the case is otherwise.

As far as I can tell, VM is an incredible open source GPL control panel. Give VM Pro a try and utilize the Support section, if you haven’t already, before you give up on VM. Having greatly benefited myself, I would be sad for you to go away without really experiencing the great support that the VM developers offer.

i also use the paid VM Pro and am very happy with their support. it is well worth it. makes my life a lot easier!!! Also they do not tell you to go elsewhere for using a free ssl certificate.
why pay for ssl when you can get one that works ,for free… i use the letsencrypt certificate on 23 web sites that i support and have no problems… And again they are FREE!!!