new virtualmin install problems on centos 7.6 base

I have virtualmin setup on a centos 7. It has been a while I’ve done that install but from what I recall there was little problems when doing that install.

today I started a new instance with Centos7.6 base install from digital ocean. I then ran the virtual script to install. I got into tons of problems, problems I really don’t recall having in the past doing virtualmin installs.

clam install was a nightmare, but I got through it. One install I couldn’t believe as I ran the post install wizard that succeeded, and only after I ran the re-config check it told me that postfix wasn’t even installed!? The wizard mentioned no such things about it.

so I install it. After that re-config check started giving me all sorts of problems about postfix not being setup at all.
some ex.
Postfix virtual maps : No map sources were found in the Postfix configuration
another was BCC mappings not being define ( sorry I don’t have the actual error anymore in front of me )

I looked at my other already running config along with some internet searching to get some of these things resolved. But now I am no longer confident that I will have a machine running as smoothly as the other one. ( for at least the virtualmin parts )

did I royal screw up this post-install?
why wouldn’t postfix be installed? was it the copy of digital ocean a problem
Is it normal that virtualmin only installs php 5.5 that is kind of outdated?
Did I maybe screw it up by updating newer versions php and mariaDB ( not for postfix of course )

Has virtualmin development slowed down or stopped?
ex. according to this there would be releases for mysql as post-install only supports mariadb, but dated in 2017
https://www.virtualmin.com/node/39171

I am not complaining. I love open source, I love virtualmin and webmin, and would even contribute to pro or donate if I can get clients on it. But I feel the installs are never the same on centos, or I really don’t know what I’m doing.

any help to understand is appreciated.

I have no words of wisdom for you, but I too have just finished building a Centos 7.6 base / Virtualmin.

Everything worked with no real issues at all when it came to the Virtualmin install, everything loaded correctly. My starting point was base server (no applications loaded except for a few tools) with gui.

Sorry I cannot help further, but from my perspective Virtualmin did do as expected.

Nigel Aves.

it seems like its a hit or miss… I think what needs to be sure is that all the services you want to host needs to be install on the base OS, then a yum update and to run the install script after that. I think I might even give this a try to at least post it success or fail.

I would like to hear more about why this is still only PHP 5.6? and mariadb 5.5? I forget, but definitely not an updated one.

Thanks for sharing

Virtualmin should load everything for you, especially Apache as the VirtuialMin version uses /home/web-address rather than /var/www

When I ran the script about a week ago, Virtualmin also loaded PHP 7.2.10 (as well as PHP 5) and Mariadb 5.5.64

Is it possible that Digital Ocean changes settings behind the scenes that could be “upsetting” the VirtualMin install? My version was downloaded directly from Centos.

Nigel.