I just added a new domain and went to start adding users. The process appeared to go as normal, but when I looked again at the users that were created, they had ‘admin’ inserted into the domain name, like this:
Desired username: firstname.lastname@example.org
Actual username: email@example.com
I have searched the documentation and the forums and I cannot see how or why this is happening, but it is.
Does anyone know how I stop it happening please and just create users ‘normally’ without the unwanted insertion?
Many thanks in advance.
There is no option in Virtualmin that would do that. I can’t even think of how you’d convince it to do that.
Have you modified the default username format in Webmin’s Users module? The Virtualmin email address format doesn’t allow adding arbitrary text, so I can’t think of how you could have accidentally stuck “admin” in there.
You could grep for ‘admin’ in /etc/webmin/virtual-server. That might give us a clue about which option has been set to include that (there will be some false positives probably). e.g.
grep 'admin' *
You might try in /etc/webmin/useradmin too, if nothing seems likely to be the culprit in the Virtualmin config.
My guess is that your browser auto-filled a form with “admin” when you were configuring something in Virtualmin or Webmin, and it got saved without you noticing. I just can’t think of where having that happen would result in the behavior you’re seeing.
Thanks for this Joe. Sadly hasn’t helped, but I have found a workaround. Is there some way of sending you info confidentially as it is only with real live data that there’s a problem and I think that you should be aware of it.
You can open a private ticket in the issue tracker, which only me, Eric, Jamie, and Ilia can see.