New install/buy!! Question to the admins

I have a dedicated server without cpanel on it so I’m willing to try virtualmin.

I just have one question, the server already has some sites set up.
When I will install virtualmin pro, will it recognize those sites, or worse is there a possibility that installing virtualmin, could delete those. It is very important for me to know, more else I don’t have physical access to the server and I wish to know the risks.
If the server stalls, I just can’t press the reset button, unless I have a very long hand.
The distro is a centos 5

When I will install virtualmin pro, will it recognize those sites, or worse is there a possibility that installing virtualmin, could delete those.

I won’t delete them, but it might break them (not the same thing, but it might seem that way if you don’t look too closely). Once installed, Virtualmin can easily import existing sites from Apache VirtualHost configuration sections.

HOWEVER: We don’t recommend using our automated installer on a production system–unless you don’t mind a little downtime, and you have known good backups. The automated installation makes many changes to the services on your system, and if your configuration now does not match the way we do things (by default, though everything is configurable once installed) some of your services will break. We’re happy to help you fix them, if/when they do break, but you should expect something to go wrong. If you’re really familiar with your system and how all of the services work, this shouldn’t seem all that scary…but the majority of folks just want things to work, and if they install Virtualmin and email breaks, they’re mad (and fairly so). So, we discourage running the install script on anything that is not a fresh OS install, because with all of the wide-ranging (though usually small) configuration changes, something is bound to go wrong.

Installing manually is probably the best choice in your case–and you can even use our RPM packages and yum repository to make things easier. It can still be a time-consuming process, however.

To begin, install the virtualmin-release package from:

http://software.virtualmin.com/gpl/centos/5/i386/virtualmin-release-1.0-1.rhel.gpl.noarch.rpm

This will setup yum to query our repositories.

Then install the minimum set of stuff:

yum install webmin usermin wbm-virtual-server wbt-virtual-server-theme ust-virtual-server-theme

And see if there are any other modules you would find useful:

yum list wbm-virtualmin-*

There are modules for Subversion, DAV, htpasswd, domain registration (via Register.com), and a few other bits and pieces. Once Webmin is running, switch it and Usermin over to the Virtualmin Framed Theme so things look nice and friendly (otherwise Virtualmin is hidden down in the Servers category and Usermin webmail is hidden under a tab, as well).

You may also want our Apache package. If you plan to use suexec, and your virtual servers are stored in /home (which is our default and what we recommend), then you’ll need an Apache built with suexec_docroot set to /home. Ours has that. So, a “yum update httpd” will probably do the trick.

I’ve begun documenting manual installation here:

http://www.virtualmin.com/documentation/id,manual_virtualmin_installation/

It’s still mostly empty…and it doesn’t cover your case of installing onto a Grade A supported OS (which makes it easier), but it kinda hints at everything that goes on during installation.

Anyway, the manual installation will not break any of your existing virtual servers in any way I can think of…and you can safely import them into Virtualmin without causing any service interruptions.