Need advice about database back and forth between cPanel and Virtualmin

CentOS 7 with Virtualmin
CentOS 7 with cPanel

Hi,
I need advice about database back and forth between cPanel and Virtualmin.
My cPanel machine has MariaDB 10.2
My Virtualmin machine has MariaDB 5.5

My question is:

• is that ok to import and export a website database between those machines?

• example: export from cPanel, import to Virtualmin, make changes, export from Virtualmin, import to cPanel again, make changes, export from cPanel, import to Virtualmin, make changes, export from Virtualmin, and on and on and on…

Regards

Hi,

Yes, more than fine. However, we would advise against CentOS 7 for clean installs. CentOS 8 has been around for quite some time. Try it instead. By the way, CentOS 8 has MariaDB version 10.3.17.

Sorry. I thought otherwise at first. Migrating MySQL dump from newer version to the older, might results in problems. We recommend using CentOS 8, Debian 10 or Ubuntu 20.04.

Migrating to an older database version is not generally safe and should only be done with extreme caution and preparation.

As Ilia notes CentOS 8 gets you closer to the same MariaDB version, which is more likely to work without much hassle…but, should still only be undertaken after testing. Newer versions have changes…it’s why there are new versions. But, dump/restore is generally pretty compatible between minor version changes even when downgrading (e.g. 10.3.x to 10.2.x)…but it is not at all expected to be between major version changes (10.x to 5.x). It could be massaged into working, but not recommended.

Thank you both for your replies :slight_smile:

Regards

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.