Nameservers not working on 2nd domain added to VPS as a new virtual server

Leave the glue records as they are. In any case glue records are not configured via Virtualmin.

WRT the rest, it would be best to undo all the unnecessary actions that you have taken. How you do this is up to you. But if you can bring Virtualmin to the state that it was in when it was freshly installed and then rerun the post install wizard to specify nameservers correctly, you are golden.

You don’t need to run through the wizard to change your main NS.

In Webmin > Servers > Bind DNS Server > Zone Defaults:
Default nameserver for master domains: set to your ns1.domain.com

In Virtualmin > System Settings > Server Templates > Defualt Settings > Dns domain:
Additional manually configured nameservers: Add your ns2.domain.co

Virtualmin > System Settings > Re-check Configuration

This will setup your default settings to add ns1 and ns2 to your new virtualservers.

You may need to manually edit the other virtualserver zones that are setup already.

Don’t forget to restart bind after you make the changes

No, you don’t need to.

You don’t even need to use Virtualmin if you can edit config files directly.

But if you are using Virtualmin and Virtualmin offers the “Rerun Post Install Wizard” option, use it to make things easier for yourself.

The last question then getting to work to reverse this and do it right. If I re-run the post-install wizard it does not matter if the virtual servers are already setup? I can leave my virtual servers installed and the name server setup in the post-install wizard will work correctly on them?

I have searched for the Rerun Post Install Wizard” option but according to the documentation I am reading where it is supposed to be I am not seeing it unfortunately.

I did this option because I could not find the auto option but this does not go back and apply the nameservers to my already created virtual servers? I got the error saying I had no nameservers associated with my virtual servers when I checked the configuration. If I need to go back and do that myself do I just add the name servers to the dns of each virtual server? and if so how is that different then what I had before?

Because before you had your hostname as the nameserver when you first had setup your Virtualmin.

Afterwards You then created new ns1 and ns2, am I correct here?

After you change the Zone Default, then edit the other virtualservers including the hostname record if it was created. Change them on the top of the dns records to the new ns1. by removing the old and replacing it with the ns1.

Then add the ns1 and ns2 in their respective fields.

Re check the bind configuration and if all is good than do a restart.

I’m going to catch hell for this, but I’m going to say it anyway:

You could have used Cloudflare and been done with it all in 10 minutes.

It sounds to me like you don’t have your nameservers done right. I know you say you do, but that whole first opening sequence sounded very odd.

I also think you’re doing more in Virtualmin than you should be doing. It’s automatic, but it sounds like you’re so busy configuring things that everything has gotten messed up.

What’s more, nobody seems to really understand what it is you’re actually doing.

You want it done in 10 minutes? Here’s how:

• Create an account on Cloudflare
  • Pick one of your domains, go to its registrar and enter the name servers that Cloudflare gave you.
  • Go back to Cloudflare and create a record for that domain and point it to your IP.

Done.

Now anytime you create a new Virtual Server, you just go up to your Cloudflare account , enter a new record for it, point it to your IP, and you’re done.

Of course, you’ll have to enter records for mail and all that jazz, but to just get things rolling the way they’re supposed to roll that you’ve spend hours on end trying to do…

Just let it go. Let Cloudflare handle it, be done in 10 minutes, and have a beer.

Using Cloudflare sounds amazing haha… thanks I need that beer after spending all night and day trying to do this relatively simple thing. Do you think it would solve the issues I am describing below that are occurring even after the fresh installs of all my virtual servers?

I did erase all my virtual servers already though and set up dns when running Post Install Wizard.

This worked for my Primary domain which has the glue records set on the registrar fine BUT as soon as I tried to add any other domain besides that one I ran into issues when virtualmin got to the requesting certificate stage I had Detail: DNS problem: SERVFAIL
and
when virtualmin says DNS-based validation failed : ertbot failed to authenticate some domains (authenticator: manual) the domain’s nameservers may be malfunctioning

Yes, for all the domains I tried I changed the nameserver at the register to the nameservers setup for my primary domain which worked fine after the Post Install Wizard.

So I do see how and why you should setup DNS in the post-install wizard it makes things very easy BUT I am still having the same exact issue I had from the start, name servers and DNS is only working on my primary domain with the glue records and won’t work on any other domains.

Cloudflare is free. Don’t touch anything and give it a try. If it doesn’t work out, get rid of it. The only thing you have to do really is change the name servers at your registrar to point to the name servers Cloudflare gives you.

Then enter the DNS records in Cloudflare, point them to your IP and you’re done.

When adding the new virtualservers does it add your new nameservers as it should?

Have you give it time to propagate? This is a private DNS server and may take up to 24hrs for full propagation to take effect.

If you are doing this from your laptop/PC you may want to restart it to refresh your dns cache on your end.

Yes when adding the new virtual servers the nameservers are showing up as expected in the DNS records of each virtual server.

The errors I am getting are only at the 2 stages mentioned in my above post:
when virtualmin got to the requesting certificate stage I had Detail: DNS problem: SERVFAIL
and
when virtualmin says DNS-based validation failed : ertbot failed to authenticate some domains (authenticator: manual) the domain’s nameservers may be malfunctioning.

Those errors do not occur on the primary domain with the glue records. All domains being tried are on the same registrar and have the same name servers at the registrar level.

I do realize there is a chance it can take a while for propagation to occur but I do not think this is the case. When I change the name servers for the domain with the glue records the propagation takes place almost immediately and it is using the same exact nameserver on the same domain registrar and same VPS.

good for testing

google has a cache flush

Less than 10 mins and everything worked fine with cloudflare!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.