MySQL quota

How do I allow virtual server owners to create additional MySQL servers

I noticed the quota was 1, but I need to be able to create additional databases for blog, forum, etc. I could not find a plac to change the quota.

This can be set in the Administration Options:Edit Owner Limits page for the virtual server in question. The option is labeled "Maximum allowed databases". You also need to enable management of databases for the user. Also on the Edit Owner Limits page, and labeled "Edit capabilities for virtual servers" the value you need to check is "Can manage databases".

This can also be enabled, by default, for new servers in the Server Templates.

Items 1 and 3 were that way by default, but I cannot find the users section. I had found it before, but now I cannot remember where it was at. I remember selecting all for the user, but I would like to check that again.

found it.

I did not know how to search the forum for this, if I try to setup a mysql db with the same name as a db on another VS, I get the following error: "Failed to create database : A database with the same name already exists"

I did not know how to search the forum for this, if I try to setup a mysql db with the same name as a db on another VS, I get the following error: "Failed to create database : A database with the same name already exists"

Yes, MySQL won’t let you have two databases with the same name. Virtualmin can be configured to enforce a “domain_” prefix for the database names, and thus would make a “shop” database unique between virtualmin.com and doxfer.com by calling them virtualmin_shop and doxfer_shop. But there’s nothing we can do to make MySQL let you create two databases of the same name–the only way to get there would be to have a MySQL instance for every virtual server account, and that would be quite inefficient, and also really hard to manage/backup/etc.

Do you have a guide for prefixing the databases? doxfer_forum host2_forum.

Thank you.

Bump.

Anyone else know how this is done?

Thank you for the reply, do I select the "Template" radio button and type that in the box? Currently, it is set to "From default settings."

Also, where did you find the text you quoted?

Yep, activate it with the radio button and use the text field to enter the prefix.

The quote you can read when you click on "Prefix for additional databases" itself.

Tony

Hi…

you can find that under:

Virtualmin > System-Settings > Server Templates > MySQL Database >

"Prefix for additional databases"

By default, Virtualmin will allow server owners to create additional databases with any names. However, this field can be used to enforce a prefix. A good value is ${PREFIX}_ , which will force the database name to start with the first part of the domain name.

Other substitions available here include ${DOM} for the domain name, ${USER} for the administration user, ${UID} for Unix user ID number and %{GID} for the group ID.

…so for "mydomain_database" enter "${DOM}_"

Tony

My user’s database crashed, and cant access the site because the default limit is set to 53 Mb and it was exceeded. We have a presentation tomorrow morn and scouring through the system to see where to change it. fun fun fun. Any one awake to help, we’d like love ya forever! :o

Howdy,

To fix that, you just need to change the user’s quota.

You can change the quota by going into Edit Users -> USERNAME, click “Quota and home directory settings”, and from there you can change the quota to your desired value.

-Eric