MySQL database failed! while creating new virtual server

Hi
I have problem with MySQL. When I am trying to create new Virtual Server I am getting this error:

MySQL database failed! : mysql::execute_sql_logged failed : SQL insert into user (host, user, ssl_type, ssl_cipher, x509_issuer, x509_subject, plugin, authentication_string) values (‘localhost’, ‘autodiely’, ‘’, ‘’, ‘’, ‘’, ‘mysql_native_password’, password(‘CWhSFSv6FTvdsaWa4sx’)) failed : You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near ‘(‘CWhSFSv6FTvdsaWa4sx’))’ at line 1 at /usr/share/webmin/web-lib-funcs.pl line 1495.

I am running :

Ubuntu Linux 20.04.3 in google cloud
MySQL version 8.0.27
Webmin version: 1.941
Virtualmin version: 6.08

Any ideas?
Thank you very much for any help!

Do a search for supported OS versions by virtualmin on the web

As i have in memory only LTS ubuntu is supported, don’t know if problem could be related to that.

Ubuntu 18.04 LTS and 20.04 LTS on i386 and amd64 (non-LTS releases are not supported). 20.04 LTS is recommended.

Thank you very much for your answer I am using LTS release…

$ lsb_release -a
No LSB modules are available.
Distributor ID: Ubuntu
Description: Ubuntu 20.04.3 LTS
Release: 20.04
Codename: focal

Please read also my PM. :wink:
You can edit your first post but should change …

Somewhere diagnostics troubleshooting documemtation Virtualmin don’t know where , is about MYSQL problem some text, could be related.
Troubleshooting Common Installation Problems – Virtualmin

This is not a fresh install, but a month ago I do a distro upgrade, everything was working well. This happened after a few last updates. All old Virtual Servers(“VS”) work well with existing databases. But I cant create new VS with database or enable features in Edit virtual server…

You version of Virtualmin is outdated. Current version is 6.17-3

That too is outdated. Current version is 1.981

You need to update your software.

Thank you very much for reply.
Good point. I find that I havent Webmin and Virtualmin in repo. Can you advice me which repo should I use for Virtualmin and ubuntu 20.
Thank you.

I just log in to Virtualmin and let it install the Package Updates automatically.

Not working for me, I add Webmin and Virtualmin to repo, next I did apt update and upgrade Webmin and Usermin has updated to actual version but Virtualmin stay in 6.08. :frowning:

I’m not talking about doing it from the command line. I’m talking about logging in to Virtualmin at your ip:10000 and letting it update itself.

This screen:

Thank you very much I am updating the system this way but probably due to the installation Virtualmin with install script I haven’t had a link to Webmin and Virtualmin in sources.list… But now it’s solved. In my next post, I will write about how I do it. Thank you a lot for the help!

!!SOLVED!!

The problem was with outdated software, specifically Virtualmin. I wasn’t able to update Virtualmin from GUI so I found a good article about how to update Webmin and Virtualmin : Webmin, Virtualmin and APT for Ubuntu and Debian – joho.se

After updating Virtualmin to the actual version, I am able to create a Virtual Server with a database. Huraaaa!!

Thank you all for sharing your minds.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.