My GPL upgraded to Pro somehow automatically I did not do it?

SYSTEM INFORMATION
OS type and version Debian Buster
Webmin version 2.001
Virtualmin version 7.2-1 Pro
Related packages SUGGESTED

Not exactly sure what is going on here I just install upgrades as they come in on notification to keep things secure more or less but I check them and I never installed a Pro Version or variation.

And for whatever reason it is telling me to install a new linux image as well?
linux-image-amd64 Linux for 64-bit PCs (meta-package) New version 4.19+105+deb10u17

I’d like to know the easiest root to remedy this without having to reinstall every dang thing. Or possibly there is a good way to run a backup of all the data and I can do a fresh installation I’d rather not have to go through configureation of everything on my servers again. If I would I’d likely consider trying cloudmin at this point so I can make better use of my resources.

We have nothing to do with your OS updates. Virtualmin is just telling you they’re available, because updates are so important to the security of a server.

DOH! Well any way I can tip you or something for the quick response via paypal or something I appreciate the help!

Make a one-time donation to the Virtualmin project.

2 Likes

I am considering pro at the moment I know it is an extra expense but we need people to purchase pro to support this effort I just wish there were a lifetime expense option so I could make a one time payment I hate installments and monthly/yearly subscription billing I limit it as much as humanly possible. As far as the project goes anyways. But I was just looking to tip Joe personally for now but if that’s not possible then it’s not possible.

2 Likes

Any donation to Virtualmin is shared by the four of us, and greatly appreciated. And, I’m always happy to share any proceeds of my work with the rest of the crew. So, donating to Virtualmin is the best way to tip me.

I have often thought it’d be nice for any user to be able to tip any other user directly if they have a PayPal or something setup, but I haven’t had time to devote to figuring out how to implement that with Discourse (and without us being intermediaries for the money, we don’t want to touch any money that isn’t for us, since that’s just a whole lot of regulatory pain). Often help in the forum comes from non-Virtualmin folks, and I don’t see any reason not to encourage that monetarily, too.

And, we used to have a lifetime license. Pretty expensive, since it’s a commitment not just to provide the software but also support for an indeterminate period of time…until the end of the company, basically, which is likely to be many years from now. We’ll discuss bringing it back, and whether it needs to be more expensive to make it make economic sense. Recurring revenue helps us a lot more because we can kinda plan around it (though those recurring payments can end at any time, we know churn is relatively low, historically), and know that we can make payroll every month for the folks who can’t afford to miss a paycheck.

1 Like

Do you prefer that Pro users buy monthly or annual licenses?

I don’t have a strong preference there. As long as they’re recurring, we can plan around them, with reasonable confidence (factoring in churn). The annual license is obviously money up front, and a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush, etc. The lifetime license can make sense, I’m just not sure how expensive it needs to be to make it make sense.

Previously lifetime license cost ~5 times the annual unlimited license, so five years worth of recurring revenue. Which felt reasonable at the time, but now we have a few of those still in active use 15 years later (and I’m happy those users are still around!). It looks less appealing now that we’re approaching twenty years of Virtualmin, and it seems like we’ll be around at least another decade or two (though we’ll have to evolve, of course).

1 Like

Funny thing about those existing lifetime licenses, in a few more years I’ll have to figure out how to solve the UNIX epoch problem for them. They got their expiration data set to sometime in 2035 or whatever because the MySQL datetime type maxes out there. As we approach 2030 I’ll need to update those lifetime licenses so they don’t accidentally end up expiring whenever we catch up to them.

1 Like

Maybe a lifetime discount rather than a lifetime license. Start with a five-year license at 5 times the annual rate, and annual renewals at 50 percent the then-current annual price thereafter. Throw in a Virtualmin coffee mug and a mouse pad, and it’s sure to be a hit.

Thanks if you got a lifetime available let me know the price I’m not looking for anything out of the ordinary as far as support goes I’m happy to ask at the forums like the GPL user I currently am I guess seems to be enough I don’t think anyone has answered a question so quickly so I’m not worried about support other than that I just would rather keep pro and pay a lifetime sub if possible now that its rolled into my setup if possible I can handle nag screens but I believe in fair compensation too. So “priority support” seems to be for everyone. As far as evolution I get that because of the latest hacks on virtual servers that just surfaced although they didn’t mention virtualmin I assume there are similar risk factors and attack vectors possibly so much will have to be changed I assume. I’ll surely pay 500.00 for unlimited lifetime subscription to all your softwares, cloudmin, virtualmin, usermin, webmin… If that is possible let me know I’ll send the money if not well… I guess I’ll have to downgrade alternatively you get zero dollars well a donation here or there when I request help rarely so could hardly see it as a loss from my vantage point I just hate subscriptions with a passion.

The lifetime license for Virtualmin or Cloudmin in the past cost $999, which was probably insufficient. If it comes back, it’s likely to cost a bit more. :man_shrugging:

There’s a reason cPanel and Plesk keep raising their prices: It’s expensive to support this highly specialized (and not all that large) industry and it’s a complicated product that requires a lot of maintenance and constant updates. We don’t run lean enough to make our lower prices profitable…we’re just broke. We have to have other jobs. Ilia’s been campaigning for higher prices, and I think I may have to cave eventually.

That said, sales have been consistently pretty good the past few months, if that continues to grow a bit, we can maybe hold off for a while longer…maybe until Virtualmin 8 in 18-24 months.

And, yeah, we try very hard to support all of our software, regardless of whether it’s a paying customer. We don’t want to lock everything up behind paywalls, though that seems to be the only way to make a decent wage making open source software. It may come to that.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 8 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.