Multiple Domains and Subdomains on single directory

Hi,

I’m a complete newbie with Virtualmin/Webmin, and dedicated servers in general.

Here is what I need to do:

PART 1/
I have several domain names:
www.domain.com
www.domain.fr
www.domain.co.uk

They must all point to the same location (same /prod-directory) and use the same prod-database. Content is served according to the domain name (if domain.com => serve content in US English, if domain.fr => serve content in French, etc.)

PART 2/
I also have development versions for these websites, with the same features:
dev.domain.com
dev.domain.co.uk
dev.domain.fr

They must all point to the same location (same /dev-directory) and use the same dev-database. Content is served according to the domain name (if dev.domain.com => serve content in US English, if dev.domain.fr => serve content in French, etc.)

And finally, I have a multi domain certificate (MDC) to secure all these subdomains (but that’s for later).

I know how to create a top-level server and an alias (that seems to cover PART 1).

However when I want to create a sub-server (PART 2), I don’t know how to make the new subdomain point to a different directory than the default directory.

So my question is: what do you recommend?

• Create a symbolic link to /dev-directory from the default directory
  • Change the settings to make the sub-domain point to /dev-directory (and if so, how?)
  • Other solution?

Thanks a lot for your help!

Francois

Howdy,

I’m a complete newbie with Virtualmin/Webmin, and dedicated servers in general.

Excellent, welcome! That’s how we all started!

I have several domain names They must all point to the same location (same /prod-directory) and use the same prod-database.

It sounds like you have the content portion of these sites already, and that you’re just asking how to make a set of websites all point at the same directory.

So it sounds like just need a main domain, and then to setup a number of aliases.

To do that, go into Create Virtual Server, and setup one of your domains as the main Virtual Server (a “Virtual Server” is a fancy name for a domain).

Once you have one Virtual Server setup, go back into Create Virtual Server, and this time, click “Alias of domain.com”.

You can create as many aliases as you’d like.

I know how to create a top-level server and an alias (that seems to cover PART 1).

Oops, I typed all the above out before reading that, but it sounds like you’re already on the right track :slight_smile:

However when I want to create a sub-server (PART 2), I don’t know how to make the new subdomain point to a different directory than the default directory.

Do you have an example of how you’d like this to work?

However, Virtualmin tries pretty hard to put any Sub-Servers into the directory $HOME/domains/SUB_SERVER_NAME.TLD.

While there’s ways around that, it can sometimes be a little bit of a battle, so I’m hoping to understand what exactly you’re trying to do there so that I can offer the best way to accomplish it.

-Eric

Do you have an example of how you’d like this to work?

However, Virtualmin tries pretty hard to put any Sub-Servers into the directory $HOME/domains/SUB_SERVER_NAME.TLD.

While there’s ways around that, it can sometimes be a little bit of a battle, so I’m hoping to understand what exactly you’re trying to do there so that I can offer the best way to accomplish it.
Thanks for your help Eric.

I have noticed that Virtualmin puts sub-servers into $HOME/domains/SUB_SERVER_NAME.TLD.
I have tried to change that path in several locations but no luck (Edit Directives, Document root directory…)

What I would love is something like:
All www subdomains (www.domain.com, www.domain.fr, etc.) point to $HOME/www
All dev subdomains (dev.domain.com, dev.domain.fr, etc.) point to $HOME/dev

That would be the cleanest way to do things i reckon. However if that’s not possible I suppose I can still create sybolic links to $HOME/www and $HOME/dev from wherever Virtualmin puts the sub-servers.

OK I think I found the best/easiest solution:

I created two “Top-level servers”:
domain.com
dev.domain.com
For each of these, I assigned a new “Website documents sub-directory”:
/www for domain.com
and
/dev for dev.domain.com

And then, for each other TLD, I just created aliases of either dev.domain.com or domain.com, so for instance:
dev.domain.fr is an alias of dev.domain.com
domain.fr is an alias of domain.com

and voilà!

It’s not so simple.

dev.domain.com and domain.com are now on two different vitual servers, but my directories are both in domain.com:

/home/domain.com/www
and
/home/domain.com/dev

The problem is that when I point dev.domain.com to /home/domain.com/dev I get an error: “Forbidden You don’t have permission to access / on this server.”

What should I change?

Thanks

Mmmh… I moved the dev.domain.com virtual server (with domain.com as a parent server) and it worked.
However aliases for dev.domain.com did not work.

So I moved dev.domain.com again out and it all worked.

Very confusing.

Hi Eric,

I’m a bit lost here. I don’t know how I got it to work last week, but I cannot reproduce it.

I don’t know if I should set up my dev subdomain as a subserver or as a server.

The problem (is that a problem?) is that I want to point dev.domain.com to:
/home/domain.com/projectname/dev

The content of domain.com is at:
/home/domain.com/projectname/www

What do you recommend?

Thank you.