Moving virtual hosting behind firewall

I am preparing to move my virtual hosting system being a firewall and will be changing the primary and virtual interfaces to private IPs.

I plan to use the Virtualmin side to change the IP addresses of the virtual interfaces.

Here are my questions:

1. Is there a place to change the PRIMARY interface IP from the Virtualmin side or must I use webmin to do that

2. Will changing the IP address of each virtual interface with Virtualmin also take care of the virtual web hosting and FTP IPs at the same time?

3. Is their a preferred order in making this change? i.e. primary interface first followed by virtual interfaces?

4. Have I thought of everything concerning the changes needed in Virtualmin?

1. Is there a place to change the PRIMARY interface IP from the Virtualmin side or must I use webmin to do that

I’m not sure what you mean with this question. If you’re just wanting to tell Virtualmin that some other IP is the one it should be using, by default, for new virtual hosts, then that’s in Virtualmin’s module configuration.

But, if you are actually changing the server configuration–e.g. eth0 goes from one IP to another, then you’d do that in Webmin’s Network Configuration module.

Or, if you mean “change what IP the server uses to send out data”, then that’s your routing table, and would also be in the Network Configuration module.

2. Will changing the IP address of each virtual interface with Virtualmin also take care of the virtual web hosting and FTP IPs at the same time?

No. There is a Change IP Addresses form for updating IP addresses of virtual servers.

3. Is their a preferred order in making this change? i.e. primary interface first followed by virtual interfaces?

Yes, the IP has to exist before you move a virtual server to it in the change addresses form.

That said, Virtualmin can spin up new addresses on its own…so, for virtual interfaces, it might actually be able to do everything in one step. I’m not sure. I’ve never done a wholesale IP change before! :wink:

Thanks Joe.

Following what you said and information in a couple of threads, I can change the main eth0 IP via webmin. Then I can change each virtual IP under Virtualmin --> Server Configuration --> Change IP Address. Of course this will need to be done on site so there’s no worry for being locked out.

I’ve run through this with a test server using Virtualmin GPL. Since I’m going from outside to private IP addresses, I would like to prevent the updating of the DNS records. I could manually edit them later but is there a way to have them not update?