Moving to Cloudmin KVM

Hi,

For a long time I’ve been using OpenVZ as my VM container, some with Virtualmin GPL in them for multi-domain hosting, and others as VPS’s, cos my current(old but useful) server doesn’t support VT.

I’ve recently purchased a refurbed 2ru box that does support VT and am wanting to run KVM, as Debian no longer has openvz as std kernels.

But I want to keep using the old 1ru as my management server/DNS/mail filter/ISCSI target etc, but move the VMs to the 2ru.

After trialling with other VM provisioning software, ie openStack, Foreman/Puppet and lots and lots of reading, i’m finding Cloudmin will probably be the way I go, but I’m trying to get my head around something I would like to do.

So my questions are:

• Can I run Cloudmin GPL on my 1ru as a master and Cloudmin GPL KVM on my 2ru as a slave with guests here?
  • Can Cloudmin GPL on my 1ru also manage Virtualmin guest instances on the 2ru with out Virtualmin installed on the 1ru master?
  • Can I provision from the 1ru KVM qcow2 images to the 2ru host via the ISCSI target in the 1ru?

If someone can point me to reading I need to look at and answer these, I would be very grateful, as I think from there I would find my way on this.

My main thing is understanding if Cloudmin can be run this way.

Thanks in advance.

Paul.

Howdy,

So my questions are: - Can I run Cloudmin GPL on my 1ru as a master and Cloudmin GPL KVM on my 2ru as a slave with guests here? - Can Cloudmin GPL on my 1ru also manage Virtualmin guest instances on the 2ru with out Virtualmin installed on the 1ru master? - Can I provision from the 1ru KVM qcow2 images to the 2ru host via the ISCSI target in the 1ru?

Cloudmin GPL can only manage KVM instances on the host Cloudmin is installed onto.

In order to manage systems on other servers, that requires Cloudmin Pro.

You could install Cloudmin GPL on both systems though, if you wanted.

If you had Cloudmin Pro, you could manage images on another server, even if Virtualmin is not installed. You do need Webmin to be installed on the remote server, however.

-Eric

Right, sounds good.

If I went down the road of just using Cloudmin GPL, how do I get around the DNS creation that it wants to do?

I’ve tried turning off Bind9 in Webmin, but unless there is another setting I’ve not found/missed, it just wants to keep adding a entry.

I run all my DNS from the 1ru and just want to use the 2ru as KVM host/guests.