move sites between virtualmin server

Is it possible to move sites between virtualmin servers without using the tar function? Or do you always have to use the backup/restore method?

Sure. If you go into Server Configuration, look at "Move Virtual Server" – that will allow you to move a site to a new owner.

I’m not sure if that’s a Pro-only feature or not… if you have the GPL version, and there’s no “Move Virtual Server” option, you might have to stick to using the backup/restore as you have been :slight_smile:
-Eric

No, I mean another fisical server, like in a cluster.

VM2 has the ability to move virtual servers (but it uses a backup/restore behind the scenes). Why are you wanting to avoid tar? That seems like a strange requirement. :wink:

VM2?
Well, large sites require a /tmp at least as large as the site itself off course, but I can work around that…

VM2 is a neat tool for managing multiple systems from one interface, as well as provisioning VPS and EC2 instances. There’s some info here in the manual:

http://www.virtualmin.com/documentation/id,vm2_manual/

I see. But I actually meant between two actual machines running virtualmin.

But I actually meant between two actual machines running virtualmin.

It’s also for managing multiple “actual machines”. And, if they’re running Virtualmin, that’s best. :wink:

Using /tmp for backups is a configurable option. I believe it comes from the Webmin temp file location…so set "Temporary files directory" in Webmin->Webmin Configuration->Advanced Options.