modify planning for auto.pl task

Hello, can i modify planning of auto.pl task running from /root/.usermin/mailbox/auto.pl? I would like to run it only once a day at midnight. can i do it? what does this task do exactly? Thanks.

I’m guessing here, but I suspect that what you are describing would be part of root’s crontab.

If that’s the case, you could change how often it runs by going into Webmin -> System -> Scheduled Cron Jobs, and modifying the entry for auto.pl.
-Eric

Hello, thanks. I already modify it but i would like to know what does this task do. I dont’ want to have problems in the future. Thanks.

I had never heard of it before now…

However, looking at the auto.pl script included with Usermin, it apparently allows you to set a schedule for deleting messages out of certain folders.

For example, I’d guess it allows you to say things like “Delete messages from the Trash folder older than 30 days”.
-Eric

auto.pl does auto-deletions and such of the spam folder and such. But, I don’t think it’s the way Virtualmin does the job (which has a single job for all users). I suspect you’ve set this one up in Usermin yourself…which seems strange, since root shouldn’t really ever get mail (it should always be aliased to a real user mailbox).

It does get added to the users crontab (root, in this case, since this is for the root user).

Honestly, you don’t need this, at all, if you’ve appropriately configured an alias for root. If root doesn’t have any mail, root obviously doesn’t need a job cleaning up his mailbox.