miniserv.pl high disk usage

Hi,

Very happy with my Virtualmin setup so far, however I’ve been noticing that miniserv.pl is performing a large amount of disk writes.

Below is a daily tally (from ATOP):

PID RDDSK WRDSK WCANCL DSK CMD 1/3

3366 347.1M 87.2G 15.1G 87% miniserv.pl

This seems to be made up of multiple writes on an hourly basis, the following is typical of what occurs on an approximately (not exactly) hourly basis:

PID RDDSK WRDSK WCANCL DSK CMD 1/11

3366 0K 150.7M 27116K 99% miniserv.pl

The size varies between 150MB’s and 300MB’s Whatever is being written is being cleaned up as my disk size is not being effected.

I was hoping somebody could provide me with some advice on what I can do, or where I can begin looking to reduce disk usage like this. I’m using a cloud based service to host my web server and the disk writes are costing me a fortune.

Hi,

While viewing “top” can you press “c” to expand the “COMMAND” section. Type what the full command says.

Best Regards, Peter Knowles TPN Solutions

Email: pknowles@tpnsolutions.com
Phone: 604-782-9342

Ask me about my new support plans which include a FREE copy of Virtualmin Pro!!!

Hi,

This is the command here (same in both top and atop):

/usr/bin/perl /usr/share/webmin/miniserv.pl /etc/webmin/miniserv.conf

Hope this helps.

Hi,

I have disabled AWStats and Webalizer for the active domains. Write usage has dropped significantly (1.2GB so far for the day, should be lower if this continues).

Should AWStats and Webalizer write so much data? I have 2 domains on this server, neither of which see a lot of traffic.

Regardless, I’ll monitor this process over the coming days and do some further testing to figure out exactly which stats program is causing the issue and report back.

Check for rogue bots and if present then just block all of them.