migrated to new server ... email issues smtp can't send email

hi folks … i migrated from a dedicated server to a vps.

i installed a fresh copy of virtualmin/webmin on the new vps centos

then i backed up domains from the original dedicated box to the new vps and then restored them.

changed nameserver/ip info at the registrar late friday night and as far as i can tell everything has propagated.

so all the websites are visible and i am receiving email using the same program and settings as before the move (which was my goal)

HOWEVER i can not send mail at all.

can someone look at the info below and point me in the right direction? am i in over my head? if so can someone take a look at my virtualmin/webmin setup and troubleshoot?

here are some error messages and such when trying to send an email using the same program (thunderbird) and same settings as before the move.

Sending of the message failed.
The message could not be sent using Outgoing server (SMTP) mail.warrenworld.com for an unknown reason. Please verify that your Outgoing server (SMTP) settings are correct and try again.

message from tech support at the vps provider (they don’t officially support virtualmin/webmin) … his comments are at the end and honestly i’m not sure how to accomplish what he suggests or if his suggestions are valid.

In /var/log/mail* (any maillog log) looking for what I believe is your ip I see:

Sep 13 23:32:56 mule dovecot: imap-login: Disconnected: Inactivity (tried to use disallowed plaintext auth): user=<>, rip=174.131.56.252, lip=162.246.21.150, session=
Sep 13 23:32:57 mule dovecot: imap-login: Disconnected: Inactivity (tried to use disallowed plaintext auth): user=<>, rip=174.131.56.252, lip=162.246.21.150, session=
Sep 13 23:33:49 mule postfix/smtpd[5078]: connect from h252.56.131.174.dynamic.ip.windstream.net[174.131.56.252]
Sep 13 23:33:49 mule postfix/smtpd[5078]: warning: h252.56.131.174.dynamic.ip.windstream.net[174.131.56.252]: SASL PLAIN authentication failed: generic failure

It actually looks like a username and password failure. For imap - plaintext auth is disabled. Try switching to ssl for IMAP in the connection.

SMTP indicates a password failure. Can you try to reset the password in the control panel installed. Its possible SSL is a requirement on SMTP as well. That would be port 465 for ssl.

here are the telnet results for checking ports

Last login: Mon Sep 14 00:29:20 on ttys000
warrens-MacBook-Pro:~ ww$ telnet mail.warrenworld.com 587
Trying 162.246.21.150…
Connected to mail.warrenworld.com.
Escape character is ‘^]’.
220 mule.wphosting.net ESMTP Postfix

Last login: Mon Sep 14 00:30:07 on ttys000
warrens-MacBook-Pro:~ ww$
warrens-MacBook-Pro:~ ww$ telnet mail.warrenworld.com 25
Trying 162.246.21.150…
Connected to mail.warrenworld.com.
Escape character is ‘^]’.
220 mule.wphosting.net ESMTP Postfix

any help would be gratefully appreciated!
ww

here is another comment from tech support for where the dedicated server and vps are located (interserver)

The logs are stating that clear text is in use when ssl is a requirement. Unless the data of the entire server is an exact copy, and I am pretty sure it is not, it is possible a new install of the programs you are using by default have an ssl requirement where there was none when you previously set up the server.

i still have access to both the old dedicated server and the vps

thanks again in advance for the help

tuesday morning bump … anybody have any ideas?

thanks

hey eric … is this post in the wrong forum area? i see lots of other posts getting replies from you but nothing for me.

thanks in advance

Howdy,

You may want to review the Dovecot config, and see if you have the parameter “ssl = required”. That can cause the issue you’re describing.

If that’s in there, try changing that to “ssl = yes”, and then restart Dovecot.

If you continue to have problems after that –

You may want to try setting up RoundCube or using Usermin, and see if you’re able to send an email using those.

That will help better pinpoint where the issue is.

-Eric

actually i finally emailed peter at TPN Solutions and less than 24 hours later he had tracked down and fixed the issue … he also explained exactly what the issue was.

apparently the required service “sasl” was not running on the new server

he started it and set it up to startup on boot.

sasld handles authentication from a remote machine.

it allows outbound messages to be sent from remote machine and authentication works.

thanks peter!