Migrate from Virtualmin to Virtualmin

Joe, what do you mean by W/o virtualization? Not to confuse the definition of virtualization, but do you mean virtualized OS/hardware, the whole 9 yards that my little GPL version doesn't do?

I mean OS/hardware virtualization. When I’m talking about what Virtualmin does (GPL and Professional) I use the phrase “virtual hosting”. Not the same thing, though that darned word “virtual” comes up in both cases. It sounds like you’re thinking VM2 is somehow part of Virtualmin Professional…it isn’t.

I haven't looked at the full feature spec's of the Pay V-min since it became for profit, didn't know it did full on Virtualization.

VM2 is not Virtualmin (GPL or Professional). They are two separate products–though they happen to work well together and when used together they are more powerful, you don’t need one for the other or vice versa.

Virtualmin does no hardware virtualization, and never will. It is not at all operating at that level. It manages virtual hosting websites and the related users.

VM2 manages lots of systems–including virtualized systems of many types. In its simplest (and cheapest) form, it manages regular old dedicated servers. It just makes it easier to keep up with what all of your Virtualmin systems are doing. In the more advanced forms, it creates and manages Xen, vserver, Solaris Zones, and EC2 instances across any number of machines.

Well, the "restore" I did seems to have caused a problem. (mind you, I know it was a screwed up backup I made to begin with) I think it's responsible for my box repetitively crashing now.

That doesn’t make any sense. A restored virtual host couldn’t possibly cause a system crash–the system would have to have serious problems for anything in userspace to be able to crash it.

If you can give us some idea of the errors, we can probably guide you on getting things straightened out…but if your box is crashing, I can assure you that you have bigger problems than your restored websites.

Also, you’ll want to start a new thread specific to your problem. We get a lot of queries every day, and if the threads get too long and convoluted we have a hard time keeping up and figuring out what problem we’re talking about.

Joe,
Thanks for the clarification about VM2, I will Definitly have to check that out, as a huge fan of Webmin from the day I found out about it & onto know, it’s cool that it’s grown to this level.
Your 100% right about my box, it’s not the V-host that crash’s it or virtual min, its something to do with disk activity, (or network activity) I will investigate that & make a new thread, if I actually do end up having prob’s that are truly relavent. I’ll also leave this thread alone.

It’s possible Virtualmin has some fancier way of handling this that I haven’t yet run across, but I just did it using a terribly dangerous command I ran from the command line :slight_smile:

This command changes a whole ton of files at once, and there’s no going back! So if you use this, please please back up all the files first :slight_smile:

If you look at your DNS zone files (mine are in /etc/bind/), you’ll see some number at the top – something like “$ttl 38400”. You just need to change it to a lower number.

I did that using something like this command:

perl -pi.bak -e ‘s!$ttl (\d+)!$ttl 1800!’ /path/to/bind/files/*.hosts

That changes all the files from it’s currently value to 1800 (meaning, 30 minutes).

Then restart Bind.

I highly recommend backing up all your files before doing that, and second, I’d test the command on a dummy copy of the zone files before making changes to your production system :slight_smile:

Oh, and after your move is finished, you can use a command similar to the above to change the numbers back to how they are now.
-Eric

Hello,

I’m running Virtualmin pro on two Ubuntu 10.04 LTS servers, one or more of which I am fairly certain has been compromised (they’re both behind a NAT, and their shared IP address was listed as a spam-sending address in the Composite Blocking List). I may eventually be doing a total backup/reinstall of both systems, because I have been logging and monitoring every single network socket over the time periods that the CBL has reported there being suspicious activity / traffic from the IP address, and haven’t been able to find anything out of the ordinary – which to me suggests the possibility of a very creative blackhat who is very good at covering his/her tracks.

Despite how reinstalling would typically be a last resort, one would think that making provisions for such a scenario would be necessary since sometimes it is inevitable (it’s even recommended by the network admins that blocked us; “If all else fails, you may need to have your machine’s software re-installed from scratch.”) but also because migrating from one machine to another is not an atypical IT task.

It has been three years since this thread was made and I’m wondering if there’s anything in the documentation yet that I’m missing on how to migrate/reinstall from scratch and keep existing VPS / Webmin / Virtualmin configurations, since I can’t find any.

Most spam that we see is due to a web application that has been compromised… a spammer will break in via that web app, drop in a malicious file, and then use that malicious file in order to send spam.

So, if you migrate all your websites to a new server, it’s plausible that you’d just migrate your problems to that other server :slight_smile:

One thing you may want to try is running a malware scanner, such as this one:

http://www.rfxn.com/projects/linux-malware-detect/

However, if you’re interested in migrating to a new server, you can use these instructions here:

http://www.virtualmin.com/documentation/system/migrate

Thanks for responding, and for those helpful links. I did find (and fixed) a WordPress vulnerability (the Timthumb hack, which left a /tmp/.tmp/ directory), but am not 100% certain that it was the cause of the spamming. This is especially so in lieu of the CBL’s listing for the IP address showing that it was detected as having sent spam over ten hours after I had rectified that issue.