Memory usage low and Virtual memory usage high?

Hello,

Running Virtualmin on a Centos 8 server, 64 Giga RAM. Apache2/php-fpm are used to run a quite large wordpress.

As I have a large RAM I am surprised to see that, according to Webmin, I am using 12% RAM and 68% virtual memory. Website loads fast even with thousand visitors but that would be probably better (and more logical?) to use more RAM?

free -m
total used free shared buff/cache available
Mem: 64072 6002 2857 1460 55212 55903
Swap: 2044 1379 665

cat /proc/sys/vm/swappiness

Any suggestion?

Thank you

https://www.linuxatemyram.com/

1 Like

Thank you Joe,

This morning something strange happened: CPU was at 100%, sites quite not loading. I checked various things and saw that “disk limits” of domain was set at 1 Giga! I never put such limit, there are 150 gigas files already… So I removed the limit in Virtualmin and all went to normal, I rebooted the server to clean all, and now surprise:

free -m
total used free shared buff/cache available
Mem: 64072 4661 52173 170 7237 58534
Swap: 2044 0 2044

Swap stays at 0, already 4 hours. Of course there is plenty of RAM but is it normal? I wonder if there isn’t something badly configured here…

By the way, why this “limit” set at 1 giga, on both domains hosted? There is one big site and a dozen of small blogs, I did n’t put any limit, never, as I manage them all. I remember I made some updates yesterday (no reboot), and there are some sites automatic backups during the night. Maybe something here?

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.