Mass mail strategy? postfix / mailman

Ronald,

thanks for keeping me on track.

1 Max number of parallel deliveries to the same destination: 20?
2 Max number of recipients per message delivery : 1000?
3 Initial concurrency level for delivery to the same destination: 5?

1 50 <-so what is this doing exactly? to the same address?
2 300 <-if the max is set to 300 and you try to send 1000 what happens?
3 10 <-??

The way these descriptions are written seems kind of cryptic??

i agree it is very cryptic.
I get these values from phplist not postfix, although I do have delivery rates check to not send 50+ mails to same domains (like hotmail accounts)

to my best knowledge, please correct if Im wrong
1 you / your app can not send to 20+ addresses on 1 domain per batch/run (like hotmail, user1@hootmail, user2@hotmail etc)
2 it gets send 300, you’ll then need to restart the cron (that’s how phplist works anyway)
3 lets say more than one app (different customers) is/are doing a mailing which include same domains (like hotmail)

Looks to me like it will be easier to download iphpMailer to my pc first, then unzip it, then upload the directory to my server on the virtual server that I want it to be on using smartftp ( thats what I usually use ).

It might take a bit longer but at least I will know what I am doing :slight_smile:

Now,
I have to admit I am a bit confused though.

Having read a few tutorials about all this

There is this phpMailer
and there is SwiftMail
and there is PEAR:Mail

Are these three just similar methods of doing the same thing ?
i.e. they are all OOP classes that in the end use the
php mail() command ?

Then there is Sendmail.

I think sendmail is a server program like postfix - is that right ?

And does the mail() command send the email out using the server program ( sendmail or postfix ) ?

To be honest I am not sure is setting up phpMailer is the way to go
, would PEAR be better ? Cant use both I guess if they do the same thing !!

davvit
there must be a "million" ways to send out a mailing.
you might want to try phpledmailer, which is also available through the script installer right in Virtualmin Pro
http://www.ledscripts.com/free/php/phpledmailer

Usually you’ll find exact instructions how to get and install a software package through the command line. I wouldn’t unzip it on a pc and then upload it. Instead upload the zip and extracting it through virtualmin’s filemanager would be another way of doing it, but at least the files won’t get corrupted.

Looks to me like it will be easier to download iphpMailer to my pc first, then unzip it, then upload the directory to my server on the virtual server that I want it to be on using smartftp ( thats what I usually use ).

“easier” is clearly in the eye of the beholder here. That sounds really complicated, to me. (Also error prone…If you do stuff on your Windows system, you’re likely to end up with DOS line endings, which may or may not break things on Linux. So, to be safe, you’d want to also run dos2unix on all of the files after uploading them.)

Have you looked at the Webmin Upload and Download module?

wget is my favorite method of downloading this to remote systems (I also very frequently use is on my local machine when I already have a shell opened in the location I want the file), but it does require you to use the command line.

Are these three just similar methods of doing the same thing ?

I dunno. They certainly could be. There are all sorts of ways to send mail, and I wouldn’t be even a little surprised in the least if there are three similar libraries for PHP (there are certainly dozens for Perl and Python).

Then there is Sendmail.

I think sendmail is a server program like postfix - is that right ?

sendmail means two different things. There is “Sendmail” the MTA, which is like Postfix. There is also the “sendmail” command, which comes in either the Sendmail package or the Postfix package. The sendmail command is simply a mail injector that knows how to inject mail into the queue of the MTA in question. They are pretty much identical from a user perspective; if you run the “sendmail” command on a Postfix system it will behave exactly the same as if you run the “sendmail” command on a Sendmail system. What happens behind the scenes is different, but you don’t need to care about that, at all.

And does the mail() command send the email out using the server program ( sendmail or postfix ) ?

"mail()" would be a function, not a command. (Though there is a "mail" command on most UNIX and Linux systems that is also capable of sending mail.)

I would imagine that the method the mail() function uses to send is configurable.

I think you’re fretting way too much about the minutiae of the underlying mail server here. Don’t think about the mail server. Just use whatever library you’re comfortable with, configure it to send using the SMTP server on localhost (no authentication required for a local sender), and forget about everything else. The underlying stuff (like whether it’s Postfix or Sendmail) doesn’t matter; they all speak the same protocol.

We are Warm-up Email service provider, we are provide complete platform and server solution for emailing if you need please let us know.

1. Targeted email list to send email If you don’t have email list
  2. Newsletter list with unsubscribe function (Custom PHP unsubscribe)
  3. smtp service with SPF / DKIM DMark maybe dedicated ip
  4. A/B testing
  5. Customisable html templates
  6. Scheduled sending maybe with calendar or date function
  7. Tracking function
  8. Skype support

We also provide PMTA installation with IEM (Interspire Email Marketing service)
Postfix with multiple IP’s rotation
Any kind of SMTP service we can make for you,
You can also contact us for VPS/dedicated server for mailing

Skype me: mohit.sharma6611
email: sharmamadhavsolutions@gmail.com

Thank you guys for all your help.

arcade game